Social environment problems

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Ckrathavongsa

Social environment problems

Postby Ckrathavongsa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello All!
I'm new to this forum. My son was diagnosed with ASD in June 2016 and is non-verbal. He has been in ABA 1 year and we have seen such a positive change in him. Recently we joined the YMCA because they had a daycare and sports for the kids as well as fitness stuff for my husband and I. We've been attending daily for about a week now and my son did great the first 5 days. However the last 2 times he went to the daycare he has tried to choke a child over a toy. I'm not sure what to do. This is a new behavior from him and it concerns me because it's the most violent towards another child he has ever been. If it continues they suspend him and that would defeat the purpose of us trying to get him in a social environment. Is there any advice for my situation?

DanceProphecy

Re: Social environment problems

Postby DanceProphecy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 am

Consider a therapy for your son. It is a big help for him.Good luck!

bpiwek

Re: Social environment problems

Postby bpiwek » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello,
Just some thoughts on how you might want to approach this.
You may want to consider approaching the people at the daycare to see if you can observe your child.
It is unlikely that they will have the time to do this for you but would be a huge benefit to your situation if you were to do this yourself.
Not only will you see how your child interacts with others you will also see how other children are behaving.
This may provide insight to whether this is the right environment for your child and potentially how they learned the new behaviour.
When my daughter was at the same age either my wife or myself would try to be there to shadow her as much as we were allowed.
Hope this helps.
Take care,
Bryan

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”