Social Story - Orthodontist

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

sashasmom

Social Story - Orthodontist

Postby sashasmom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I had to make 2 social stories tonight. One with the steps of getting braces on and one on oral hygiene with braces. If anyone is expecting to have their child go through this I'd be happy to email you the file.

I have it set up as 1/2 pages so when it prints you cut the page in 1/2 and can tape it to construction paper to make a book out of it.

acolemanbrownlee

Re: Social Story - Orthodontist

Postby acolemanbrownlee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I would love a copy of your social story! Thanks!

lray

Postby lray » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Could I pllese get a copy of the social story for braces and hygiene for braces, Thanks !

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

lray wrote:Could I pllese get a copy of the social story for braces and hygiene for braces, Thanks !

Hi Iray -- the OP may not have read and responded since this is an older thread.

There is a 'behavior story' about the orthodontist here that you may be able to adapt for use with your child:

http://www.thewatsoninstitute.org/about.jsp?pageId=0690200091781082058913670

Here is a blog entry about writing social stories on your own:

http://blog.autismspectrumdirectory.com/2011/01/29/step-by-step-instructions-how-to-write-a-social-story/

You can use google images for pics and copy/paste these into a word document with the text.

Also, you might consider filming the assistant demostrating the brushing and care of braces with your child -- and making your own version of video modeling (might want to check youtube also for related videos).
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

denny13

Postby denny13 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:47 am

Hello, my name is Denise.I have a 14 year old autistic son who is due to start the process of having braces fitted next week. I would be so grateful if you could email me your social story on this subject. many thanks. Or if anyone else can help too I'd be really grateful. my correct email address is drsc13@gmail.com regards Denise

P.s I put wrong e mail address earlier on first post!

sbeary

Postby sbeary » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:53 pm

If anyone has a social story on getting braces could you please send it to me? My 14 year old just got braces today and has pulled them off already. Now he is sad as he liked them.

Mgage30

Postby Mgage30 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:53 pm

I would love a copy!
I was just told my 10 yr old needs braces.
Very apprehensive because just getting his teeth cleaned is a challenge.
Thank you so much!

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”