New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Winnie

Re: New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Postby Winnie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Good stuff! Enjoyed reading the updates. : )
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Dani

Postby Dani » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Yesterday we went to a really crowded really noisy Chinese restaurant. My daughter was well behaved. She ate food that she doesn't typically eat at home. She sat in her seat without fidgeting. She had a good time. Afterwards we went to a local hardware store to pickup some supplies. I left her in the housewares section with my husband while I went to look at the paint section. I could hear her asking him "Where's mommy? I want mommy. Where's mommy?" :lol:
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Does anyone have a good update to share? :D

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Not sure if it's an update; but it's kind of funny. When we were grocery shopping, S. asked if we could buy limes. He likes to try new kinds of fruit and veggies. When we got home, he cut it up with a knife (I supervised) and put the piece of lime on the edge of his glass of water "Like in a fancy restaurant, Mom." He got the idea from a movie.

vnm4flan

Postby vnm4flan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Hello,

Bear in mind my son is much older than most of the kids on the site...

Nelson is now a sophomore in High School, and recently we got the report showing whether he had met his requirements. He already met his math requirement and is just about finished with his second language requirement (they require 2 years of a second language). He is carrying an A in English and they even talked about submitting one of his poems to a competition. Not to mention his science grades have always been great.

When you think he did not really speak until he was over 3 years old, you realize how happy I feel.

Cheers,

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Vanessa,
That is really incredible, you must be very proud.
Liz

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Vanessa - Thanks for sharing that. Wow! You should be proud and so should he. As the parent of a much younger child, I love hearing the accomplishments of older spectrum kids.

Can you tell us a bit about what you've done therapeutically? When did you see big jumps in conversational speech? Thanks...

lulubelle21

Postby lulubelle21 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Great to hear stories like yours Vanessa! I would also like to know what helped conversational skills. Thanks

I have some news.........We met with my son's pre-school teachers today and they said that he has made HUGE progress since September. He sits at circle time with the other kids, his sensory issues are getting better, he has friends, he is using more language and better sentences. He is listening to the teachers. He is doing better with transitions, he is not so fixated on the same toys, etc. I know there was more but I can't think of it at the moment. It's small stuff but I was really nervous about meeting with them today and they had a lot of great things to say. He still has a lot of things to work on but it is very encouraging.

Lisa

dorybh

Postby dorybh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 am

This stuff is gold! Love hearing about the progress. Only we parents could understand how much some of this stuff means! Keep it comin'!

We went to our first drive-in movie the other night. Usually our son is in bed by 8, so when the movie ended after 9, he was really impressed with himself that he was still up. He said on the way home, "Mom, I know I'm gonna be a good dad." I asked him why and he said that now he could stay up late. I asked him if that was important for dads to do. He said, "Yeah, so I can tuck my kids in bed."
He's been coming up with stuff like that for the past three months or so. Lovin' it!

dory
I had to be there, to get here.

Grandma C

Postby Grandma C » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:27 am

Hi Everyone - I still love coming back and reading the updates on the children. Always happy to hear positive or happy things.

My grandson continues to do well. The other day he said (in just a general conversation) something about "a friend of mine said this"...JOY!!!! He has friends!!!! How I worried years ago that this would never happen. He is so happy, loving, and giving...who wouldn't want to be his friend? :D

lulubelle21

Postby lulubelle21 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:03 pm

MY SON ASKED ME WHY NOT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were at the grocery store and he started acting silly, blowing raspberries and pretending to spit. He laughed and looked at me and said "I am spitting". I told him not to spit that we don't do that. He looked at me and says........"WHY NOT?"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap!!! I started laughing and then explained to him that it's not polite to spit. People in the store probably thought I was nuts - I was smiling and laughing and telling him how great that was.

Please keep these great stories coming.

Grandma C - I have read some of your past posts - could you tell us more about your grandson and the progress he is making? How old is he now?

Thanks!
Lisa

vnm4flan

Postby vnm4flan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:06 am

Hello,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to answer... I just wanted to answer your questions about Nelson's therapies. When he was very small we had him on speech therapy once a week, we tried occupational therapy but the only provider was a very mean person and I pulled him out by about the third session. When he was about 4 he was placed in a special classroom for "communication social and behavior" students. The teacher was awesome and they had a lot of one on one attention but he was still not talking in sentences.

What got him really talking was the secretin shots. He started making real progress when we got him on a regular schedule for the shots. It was so noticeable that his teacher would remind me that he seemed to be ready for another "treatment" when he slowed down. She did not know what the treatment was, just that I would pull him from school for the day.

Other than secretin the other treatment which helped were the enzymes he used to take in place of the GFCF diet. They really helped him when he was little.

I looked back and I found a post were I explained most of his biomedial treaments...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17008&p=119399#p119399

The difference is that these days we do not even use the enzymes. I do worry about it since we where on them for so long. But we ran out of them a few months ago and he seems to be doing fine, no rashes and no obvious hyperactivity.

Hope this explains us a little...

Dani

Postby Dani » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Please keep us updated on his progress, Vanessa.

We had our child's preschool Christmas program recently. I was so afraid she would have a public meltdown in front of some 100 people. She didn't! She had been really good at practice but I worried about her participation in front of a large audience. She was fine. She even wore her costume the whole time, she participated part of the time (the rest of the time she stared at the audience bewildered as to why they were there :lol: ). However, she didn't cry or run off the stage or refuse to participate - several of the NT kids did that.

Janie

Postby Janie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Great updates!

Our biggest news is - questions!!! I've gotten several in the past couple of weeks. It's not constant, but he asks at least one a day lately. "Where" seems to be firmly ingrained, but that was all we were getting until Thanksgiving, when he picked up an old family portrait at my parents' house and compared it to a larger version of the same photo on the wall and asked, "Is this that?" Then the other day in Wal Mart, he pointed to a sign and asked, "Hey Mommy, what's those letters?" And last night, the oven timer beeped, and DS asked me, "Did you hear that?"

He also tells me everything he's doing lately and wants me to participate. Even when it's just a perseverative type behavior, he pulls me into it. Love it!!!
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:05 pm

S. had his Christmas concert last night. He did great. He stood on stage, did all the hand motions, and never once covered his ears, whined, or lost his focus. It's especially gratifying because he takes music class at his former private school and he only goes for music once a week. He did a great job, had fun, and was just like all the other kids. Okay, he did fidget a little, he's only seven.

Dani

Postby Dani » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 pm

It's wonderful to read about the progress our children are making.

We recently had a conference with our child's teacher. My daughter is very good at "I want...", "Can I have...", and "I don't want ..." type of sentences. I think they call those "mands" in ABA. Spontaneous comments were rare. She wouldn't say anything much about anything she noticed. However, lately she has started to spontaneously comment on things in environment "Look..it's a cat" "This is a little broccoli" and things like that. The preschool teacher mentioned our child has made progress in that area compared to when she started preschool a few months ago. She's getting ready for kindergarten so she's learning to write letters of the alphabet. Of course her favorite word to write is her own name.

lulubelle21

Postby lulubelle21 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:40 pm

My son pooped on he potty today!!!! It may have just been a fluke so I am not getting overly excited. I hope it continues. He was excited about it and of course we made a huge deal about it! I hope everyone is doing great and keep these stories coming!!!!

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Somehow when they were updating the site I got dropped from this thread. My son now has 9 words he can use functionally. So we are starting. I am holding my breath for him to say 2 words together. It is great to read all your updates. Keep going moms and dads you all are doing great and Way to go to your kiddies!!!

Biomedmom

Postby Biomedmom » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 pm

So great to read about eveyone's achievements! Encouraging, to say the least.
My boy started 1 st grade this year after being home-schooled for 6 years. He actually made friends, is liked by his classmates and has huge gains in language (receptive part). He also started karate classes which helped him to make great progress in gross motor skills.
In the last year, he gained about 2-3 years in so many areas, I still have to pinch myself every know and then.

Grandma C

Postby Grandma C » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:15 am

DEAR LISA -(LULU) I don't visit too often anymore so I am sorry I did not answer before. I first joined AW about 5 years ago. I was in the depths of the worst depression I had ever known. My "baby" boy had been dx'd as being on the autism spectrum. On the old "board"...this is the new "board" I signed in as Brokenhearted and that is what I was.

He never had severe (according to some standards) symptoms...but, symptoms nonetheless! I first noticed he didn't answer to his name...my terror began. Jumpstarting...my son and d-i-law had him dx'd before the age of 2 and he was evaluated and followed under the protocol of Dr. Stanley Greenspan (Playtime/Floortime). It worked very well for him. He did not talk until almost 4 as my memory serves me. He did not get potty trained until 4 - just before K...just in he nick of time! Never had many accidents after that.

Evan was 7 in August and has made such progress. He talks and has discussions just like any NT child. His voice is a little different from what might be considered "normal" ..high pitched and talks too fast. If reminded "lower and slower", he can do it but not for long or consistantly. He thinks he wants to be a paleontologist (sp? No, he didn't use that word)since he loves dinosaurs. He is in the 1st grade and is working at a level consistent with going into second grade. He is not asperger's as you probably gathered from his lack of early speech.

Newer issues have come up. They are relatively (compared to what could have been!) mild. They (testing team inc. neurologist and his pediatrician) thought he was adhd...I don't understand (maybe more add) because he is extremely well behaved, never gets over hyper...little bit...sure! He never has meltdowns, he doesn't get angry as he is too mild mannered and loves everyone and everyoe loves him! He wouldn't dream of even hitting back if hit in school (which he hasn't been...thank goodness). He has never needed an aide in school, works on his own, but that is where the reminders are now necessary. He (instead of add) is now referred to as having some type of memory disorder. Treatment will begn on that soon.

He has exceeded many of the fears I had. One of the main ones was "will he ever have friends?"..he does. I knew he did but it did my heart good the other week when he casually referred to one boy by saying "one of my friends did so and so"!!!!! One of my friends!!! JOY!!! He genuinely is just about the most precious, sweetest child anyone would ever meet. When we go to visit it is.."G & G"!!..as he runs to give us hugs and kisses. He is beautiful both inside and out. I could go on forever telling you his good points. He has a baby sister..what a doll!...who is 9 mos. old. Everything is N T and above!!! It has to be...................

My hope and dream for every one of you is to have your child/ren reach the wonderful heights that he has. My heart is filled!

With love & wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year for all of you!

Grandma C

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”