Is my toddler Autistic?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

anistein

Is my toddler Autistic?

Postby anistein » Fri May 25, 2012 8:43 pm

My 32 month old son is exhibiting the following behaviours and my wife and I are wondering if he's autistic:

1. He likes to move small toys from side to side across his eyes (he does this often) (he can do this for long periods of time)
2. He loves to play with clothes; he moves them from his left side to his right side and vice versa (he can do this for long periods of time)
3. Sometime when he's walking he looks out the side of he eyes
4. He walks up to strangers that stare/look at him and hits them. If he can't walk up to them because he's in a trolley at the supermarket he simulates hitting them by swinging his arms across his face.
5. He twitches sometimes (on purpose i think)

Besides these 5 behaviours he is a happy child
1. he plays peek a bu with strangers when we eat at restaurants
2. he similes and laughs a lot
3. he talks and is able to ask for things he wants
4. he could identify and say all the alphabets and count to 10 before he could talk properly
5. he knows all the rainbow color (including black, white, gray) and shapes

We plan to take him to a pediatrician in a few days for an evaluation, however we want to ask about your opinions/experiences and if you've ever seen this type of behaviour in a toddler?

Kari

Re: Is my toddler Autistic?

Postby Kari » Sat May 26, 2012 9:05 am

Definitely a good idea to get checked so he can get early intervention if needed. He is doing some great things with playing, interacting with people, talking. My son could also count and say the alphabet, but he was not conversational. He would ask for what he wanted with one word, but obviously language was far behind what is typical. He didn't understand much of what we said to him and would seem confused. It's good to be aware of the developmental milestones to see where he should be.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/

My son would also look out the corner of his eyes and visually stim this way for long periods of time. I credit cod liver oil with naturally occuring vitamin A for stopping those eye stims. He still has a few other stims, but he doesn't look out the corner of his eye anymore since we started him on it a few years ago. Fish oils are a commonly recommended supplement for autism and adhd you might want to look into.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sat May 26, 2012 11:54 am

Get it checked. Below is why we got it checked and glad that we did.

Our 2 yr old used to have a visual stim once in a while but that is long gone now (maybe due to CLO). He is also highly verbal and can do 2-3 words now. He knew all his alphabets, numbers, Shapes, colors and could recite entire nursery rhymes before he turned two but didnt say simple things like mommy or Daddy or hi/bye. He was diagnosed on the spectrum - he had the other classic symptoms including attention deficit, stims (hand flapping, twirling or spinning, etc), repetitive thoughts/fixation on certain objects (eg helicopter) and most important there was and still is no true emotional reciprocity (he understands his own emotions but not other people's emotions, so empathy is lacking).

anistein

Postby anistein » Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. We went out and got the fish oil supplements for him. We thought his visual stims was just a quirk of his but we've really noticed an increase since we got to the US. Now every time he plays on his own he's stimming. We relocated here a month ago and the stress of the move must have affected him negatively.
We'll be at the doctors next week.
Is the prognosis good for early detection/treatment? Will he have a "normal" (whether that really means) life if treated at a young age?
Last edited by anistein on Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anistein

Postby anistein » Sat May 26, 2012 4:31 pm

We were at the pharmacist and tried to get Cod Liver oil but there is no recommended dosage for kids his age. What is the dosage and how you do administer it? Can my son take is centrum multivitamin along with it?
Last edited by anistein on Sat May 26, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:48 pm

It is very hard, I think, to give an accurate prognosis on a very young child. But, doing nothing will change nothing. Treatment, whether bio med, speech therapy, play therapy, or any other treatment is a good place to start.

At two, my son had stalled out with speech development, he had about 50 words and almost all were labels, naming things. He had few spontaneous two word utterances. He refused to speak to anyone besides his dad and I. He had severe seperation anxiety, a visual stim (running and shaking his head), a very short attention span, limited joint attention, he didn't sleep through the night, was a very picky eater, he had echolia, and issue with his stomach.

We were told when he was four that he would most likely never be able to live independently, hold down a job, speak normally, or learn to read.

He is ten years old. He speaks like any other ten year old boy; a lot eye rolling and "Mother!" and "You aren't the boss of me!" with a lot knock jokes and really terrible jokes he makes up himself. He has friends, quite a few, across all settings in the neighborhood, at home school co-op, at his after school program, and at activities. He doesn't stim, he has great imagination (though he says he is getting too old for toys), he eat anything you put in front of him except cooked onions, he has tons of empathy and joint social attention. He can read and is a grade ahead in math and science.

He has a very short attention span and is emotionally immature (about 18 to 24 months behind his peers). He isn't typical, he has a diagnosis of ADHD, but we are pretty sure he will live on his own, have a job, friends, hobbies, finish at least a junior college, and hopefully get married and have kids.

anistein

Postby anistein » Sat May 26, 2012 6:11 pm

I have been observing him today as we just researched his behaviours and autism yesterday and had a good cry. He only stims at home and when the stimming doesn't work out for him he throws a tantrum (sometimes hurting himself). We were at the kids museum today and he seemed perfectly normal. He doesn't exhibit any autistic behaviours when we're not at home. I've looked at the milestones for his age and he has achieved all of them. At this point we're just waiting on the medical evaluation and trying to be proactive about helping him.
Thanks for all your responses and I'm happy that your kids are doing well.

Kari

Postby Kari » Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm

I gave my son 1 teaspoon CLO a day. It's equal to about 1000 mg combined DHA and EPA. Good that your son met the milestones. It's really difficult to predict what the outcome would be for a young child, especially before starting any therapies and seeing how he responds. A little frustrating to not know, but that means there's still lots of hope.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sun May 27, 2012 12:24 am

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Normal kids and adults may stim as well. Even if diagnosed, the spectrum diagnosis is quite broad. With early intervention and speech already in place, I would like to think that the prognosis is quite good. Our aggressive objective for our 28 month old is to lose PDD NOS diagnosis (ie downgrade to hopefully ADHD or ADD) before entering grade 1 and we do know of another couple who have been able to do that for their son with some biomedical/diet and intensive IBI/verbal behavior/speech therapy. We have started the same.

The typical dosage for CLO (in liquid form, can mix with juice or water) is usually 5ml. different fish oils will have different DHA/EPA but in your case, I would make sure to get the one with vitamin A. You can take multivitamins in addition to that without any issue.

anistein

Postby anistein » Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for all the replies and support. He is our first child and we don't know what to expect. We don't know what behaviours are "normal" and what behaviours to worry about. He seems to have some emotional connection, he would say "sorry mummy" (after hitting my wife of course). He knows what belongs to him and what doesn't e.g if he sees my mobile phone lying somewhere in the house he'll bring it to me and say "daddy's phone". He uses more than 2 words sometimes in sentences like "door open it" or "open the door". Though he's attention seems to be highly selective.

Looking at the autistic behaviours I'm thinking I would have fallen somewhere on the spectrum if my parents had gotten me checked. Because I don't have emotions. Growing up my uncles nickname for me was "blank" due to my lack of emotion. I miss entire conversations because I'm focused on something else (this drives my wife crazy). So I'm not worried if he ends up like me; I still think social interaction is overate in our world.

I wish you all the best with your kids. I'll update this post when we have a diagnosis.

anistein

Postby anistein » Mon May 28, 2012 2:24 pm

We were at the doctor's today. He seemed surprised by the stimming behaviour he saw on the video we showed him, however he doesn't think it's autism. He's thinks it might be anxiety. He's ordered an EEG and eye test so we'll see how it goes from there. If it gets worse he'll arrange a visit to a neurologist. I the mean time we'll continue with the CLO supplement. Thanks for all the support. I'll update if/when we get a final diagnosis.

Soouthernbelle77

Postby Soouthernbelle77 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 am

My 2 1/2 year-old does all of these exact same things. I have an appointment with the state for an evaluation and I'm supposed to have an occupational therapist call me back to work with him at his daycare until he is three. Can you give me an update on your child? I hope he is doing well!

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”