Reggio Emilia vs. Montessori preschool for Asperger's child

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Bea

Reggio Emilia vs. Montessori preschool for Asperger's child

Postby Bea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 pm

My son is 4 1/2 and needs help with social skills. Which is the better school to facilitate this, Reggio Emilia or Montessori? Are they pretty much the same? Do any of you have success stories in social growth with either of these schools? Has anyone experienced both and can give me a comparison? I am in desperate need of help as the school year is looming and I have to choose before the open spots get filled.

My son has been to Montessori one year already and wants to go back very much. However, during the school year he never really seemed happy and told me the kids were mean to him... Yet he wants to go back? I don't get it. Reggio seems more play based to me upon observation, but I don't know how it would work for Asperger's. During an hour of observation at Montessori we saw no social interaction for my son. He played in the blinds, hung on the door, sat in the book corner and stared. Did two pouring works. The teachers did not facilitate social interaction with him during that hour. I don't know what his typical days have been like. He is highly functioning, very verbal, intelligent. He can read emotions fine and shows empathy. He just needs a little help over the fence in terms of social play.

Is it more important to keep him at a school he has already established himself at and wants to go back to?

Thanks. I'm so alone out here - no support groups. Help.

egap00

Re: Reggio Emilia vs. Montessori preschool for Asperger's child

Postby egap00 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello there,
I think Montessori preschool is the best option for your child to grow his social skills.
Thanks

dellfon

Re: Reggio Emilia vs. Montessori preschool for Asperger's child

Postby dellfon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 am

We had planned on sending our DS to our local montessori school, which we love. However, he was just diagnosed with Aspergers (at 3). Does anyone have any experience with a child on the spectrum in a Montessori school? Any advice?

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”