How to start a conversation

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

makingitpossible

How to start a conversation

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

I am trying to figure out the best way to start a conversation with my daughter with autism. She has good language skills but terrible communication skills if this makes sense. I read a few places not to start with a question as this can make them feel like you are quizzing them and they may get anxiety.

Anybody know how I can try to begin to have conversations with my daughter or am I expecting too much? I have never carried on a real conversation with her and she is 6.

kulkulkan

Re: How to start a conversation

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 am

I would recommend the book "Talkability". We did the training program based on this book which is better but the book is great as well and has great content / ideas on how to start and hold conversations with your verbal child. We do try to keep questions to a minimum, not because of anxiety but that is not really a conversation, just quizzing as you said. We were able to stretch conversation to 10 turns going back and forth using some of the techniques in this book.

http://www.hanen.org/Guidebooks---DVDs/ ... ility.aspx

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Great thanks! I will get it but how did you find the training class?

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:19 am

Our SLP recommended it to us. It was offered by one of the local agency and taught by one of their SLPs, not by Hanen - presumably they licensed content from Hanen. The Hanen site does list upcoming sessions but doesn't look like any for talkability till 2015 (in San Francisco) and that appears to be for clinicians. Could call/ email them and also find out which SLP / agencies in your area are affiliated to them or have certified members.

sylvia1111

Postby sylvia1111 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm

can anyone give me a few hints or suggestions mentioned in the hanen program IT TAKES TWO TO TALK for encouraging speech please.

ANOTHER BOOK talkability was mentioned. Can you please give examples of sugestions or hints that were useful from this book also for having conversations with already verbal children

thank you

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”