Alternating Constipation and Mania

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

AndyDD

Alternating Constipation and Mania

Postby AndyDD » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello,

My son (5 years old) seems to have neurological issues such as dyspraxia/ataxia, mania and mild psychosis and also chronic constipation (incomplete emptying). The thing that I find most intriguing is that when he is most constipated, despite having less energy and feeling sick, his cognition and mood is much more normal. When we decide to give him something (such as Prunes/Pear Juice/Kiwi) to get his bowels moving again, his cognition deteriorates for the next few days and mania/psychosis returns. We've had more cycles like this than I care to remember, but still can't establish what could be happening.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

We are on a GFCFSF diet, and I'm wondering if he's constipated so his body can spend longer absorbing some particular nutrient(s), but when we force the food through faster (with laxative foods, or laxatives), it prevents him from absorbing something pretty important to his mental/neurological processes, and thus they suffer. Could this make any sense at all?

His sluggish transit seems more connected to intestinal motility or peristalsis than anything else because even though his stools are soft, he seems to have trouble moving things through. He complains about feeling full but hungry, when constipated.

Thanks for any ideas.

Andy

majadj

Re: Alternating Constipation and Mania

Postby majadj » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:23 am

I've managed to solve that problem by adding Simethicone solution (for babies cramp) first few month with probiotic (my choice is Flobian - it contains Lactobacillus plantarum 299v - suitable for constipation and colon irritabile). Hers cramps with any kind of probiotic were so bad that she collapsed ones. With simethicone, she does`t have any problem.

AndyDD

Re: Alternating Constipation and Mania

Postby AndyDD » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:22 am

majadj wrote:I've managed to solve that problem by adding Simethicone solution (for babies cramp) first few month with probiotic (my choice is Flobian - it contains Lactobacillus plantarum 299v - suitable for constipation and colon irritabile). Hers cramps with any kind of probiotic were so bad that she collapsed ones. With simethicone, she does`t have any problem.

Thanks for that. We have actually already had a small amount of success in controlling hyperactive behaviour with Lactobacillus Plantarum, In fact, when my wife and I took just 3 billion each we noticed extreme relaxation/tiredness for the following 18 hours, not sure whether this is unusual. I will bear the Simethicone in mind too.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”