If money were no object.....

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Greatwhite631

If money were no object.....

Postby Greatwhite631 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi, my little boy was diagnosed with autism in March he will be 3 in January. I'm a younger father(28) and still trying to accept and cope with this best I can. I have him in early intervention since he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS.
He is non verbal but he is trying best he can. Anyway my question to the other knowledgeable parents of this forum is what if money was no object? What services and programs would you utilize? I'm considering private insurance and private schools but just curious as to what else is out there? (I live on Long Island NY)
I am not wealthy but I do okay and I need nothing for myself except our home so I am willing to do what it takes financially.
I appreciate any and all responses and thank you for taking the time out of your day. I'm happy to be part of this forum.

Santosg

Re: If money were no object.....

Postby Santosg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 am

I'm not sure what you've done or have not done.

The problem with most early intervention programs is that its just way too little to really make a meaningful impact on the childs developmental trajectory. 1 hour a week of speech is only valuable to the degree that it educates the caretakers to implement something with the child on a daily basis. Ditto occupational therapy or physical therapy.

You need to approach this biomedically and behaviorally:

Behaviorally, I assume he's in an early intervention preschool program. In addition, I recommend getting ABA therapy after school. My son gets 11 hours of ABA and if I could get more--and there are so many hours in the day--I'd do more. He should be busy 'working' on things for at least 40 hours a week with a particular emphasis on producing language.

Biomedically, I'd get a DAN doctor. Neubrander is the gold standard in the field and in NJ. Go to him.

Beyond the basic supplements, tests, etc. You'll want to look into hyperberic oxygen and transcranial magnetic stimulation. These are the 'big guns'.

You ask if money were not an object, and that's a fair and important question. It if my opinion that money only solves some of the issues. Instead, the most important thing you can do is to organize your lives around helping your son develop, talk, and interact. It is question of focus and time more than money. Building a relationship in which the child looks to his parents for love and affection, enjoys spending time with them. If you give him to skills to speak---ABA---you also need to give him the incentive to share and connect with those around him--the ultimate responsibility of the family.

Best of luck.

swalton

Re: If money were no object.....

Postby swalton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:41 pm

My experience is as a special ed teacher with autism in public schools. While you're considering the best school for your son, don't rule out public schooI. I believe public school is the best place for children with autism for several reasons.

Public schools have more resources for special education services, I suppose because the population of public schools is much greater than private schools. Private schools are still subject to all the federal and state special education laws; they still have to provide OT, PT and speech teachers (who are usually part of the public school district that the private school is in). Children with autism benefit from working with many people who have many different skills

As part of a larger special ed department in public school, teachers are able to collaborate. This only benefits the students because there is more than one pair of trained eyes on them. Sometimes it takes more than one person to problem-solve a behavior or learning issue. Private schools typically don't have, in my experience, more than one special ed teacher who serves a range of children and disabilities, not just autism. I have also seen that private schools tend to be more closed in their perceptions of 'different-ness'. There seems to be more diversity of race, religion etc in public schools and this allows for more acceptance of children with disabilities.

One of my former students began preschool in a private school. He is considered high-functioning Aspergers, very verbal! and gifted. But emotionally, he functioned much lower than his chronological age. The preschool did not know how to handle his loud, frequent melt-downs. I don't think his teacher was a trained Special Education teacher, either. I had him from kindergarten through 5th grade. He was able to make tremendous progress in the public school because, I believe, there were teachers and administrators who understood autism, how it affected my student; school was where he was able to be accepted in the general population despite his disability.

I am not knocking private schools or their teachers or administrators. I am saying that in my experience, public schools are better able to support special needs children than are private schools. So just check out both thoroughly.
And in the meantime, with all the money in the world you have :) use it for speech and language, social play times with kids his age, and a get-away weekend for you now and then!
SWalton
www.autism-learning-support.com

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”