Help with Research Project

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

sarah.gorrell

Help with Research Project

Postby sarah.gorrell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello all,

I am engaged in a small research project, in which I am asking for your participation. In recent years much emphasis has been placed on early intervention programs in supporting children on the autism spectrum. Despite increasing awareness about autism spectrum disorder and how to best support those on the autism spectrum there is a lack of knowledge related to how to best help young adults on the spectrum. In particular there is lack of knowledge related to how early intervention programs support those on the spectrum as they grow older and become young adults.

My project is to interview 10-15 young adults who are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. For the purpose of this research a young adult will be defined as a person between the ages of 18-30. As a participant you would be asked to participate in one interview with me that would take between one to two hours. The interview can take place at a mutually convenient location or via an online platform such as Zoom. The topics would be related to your experience as a young adult on the autism spectrum as well as past therapeutic experiences.

With your permission, the interview would be audio recorded so that I can accurately capture your responses. Once transcribed the tapes will be destroyed. The interview process would require you to reflect honestly on your experiences as a person on the autism spectrum.

Results of the information and response I gather will shed light on strengths and deficits in therapeutic resources available to young adults on the autism spectrum. Additionally, they will give insight into how early intervention programs impact lives on those who receive services.

Please let me know if you have any questions and whether you are open to participating in this study in the coming months. I can be contacted via e-mail at sarah.gorrell@emu.edu

Sincerely,
Sarah Gorrell

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”