Any suggestions for a Hawaiian resort to stay with ASD child?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Any suggestions for a Hawaiian resort to stay with ASD child?

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

We are planning our first vacation since our autistic son was born. He is almost 7. We would like to stay at a Hawaiian resort that
- has rooms that can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children
- restaurants have kids menus
- has activities for kids
- has a pool with water slides
- has a protected lagoon where kids can snorkel and see fish and turtles
- preferably not too crowded even during peak season

Before kids, I stayed at Maui (my favorite), Big Island (my 2nd choice), Kauai (Waimea Canyon is very beuatiful, but snorkeling wasn't not that good where we stayed) and Oahu (very crowded). I did some search on internet and places that are recommended most are
- Disney Aulani on Oahu (nice waterpark and protected lagoon, but very crowded)
- Hilton Waikoloa on Big Island (also crowded)
- Grand Wilea on Maui (I was there a couple of times, it didn't strike me as a kid-friendly place, no protected lagoon)

The most important thing is for our 7yo twins to be able to see turtles and fish while snorkeling in calm waters. We can find a nice pool where we live. So, it must be an exotic experience for them, worth remembering. Any suggestions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by FatherOf2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Santosg

Re: Any suggestions for a Hawaiian resort to stay with ASD child?

Postby Santosg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:26 pm

No suggestions. I've never gone. But have a wonderful time!

FatherOf2

Re: Any suggestions for a Hawaiian resort to stay with ASD child?

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks, santosg. Decided to go to Disney Aulani for 5 nights and then hop to Grand Wailea for 5 nights. Both resorts have impressive pools with water slides and lazy river. Aulani was built in 2011. Grand Wailea got renovated last fall. Hilton Waikoloa would also be a good destination, but it so spread that it takes 1hr just to get from your room to the lobby. A friend was there with his kids and recommended not to go to there.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”