New Here

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Pants123

New Here

Postby Pants123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi,

I joined the community because my DS daycare at around 26 months reported he may be on the spectrum as his social skills w.r.t his peers are not on par and also doesn't respond to his name sometimes. Honestly we never noticed it and as he called us mommy and daddy all the time and identified himself with his name and had always requested with gestures (non-verbal) what he wanted and always responded to his name. He knew his alphabets, numbers, colors, animals sounds and even our first names. He also had very good eye contact with us and still does. No issues with going into public and actually loves sitting in the cart when we go to shopping centers and sometimes gives high fives if requested to strangers as well. Anyway not to take it lightly or get anti with the daycare as soon as they reported we acted and called EI in our state and they determined he had a speech delay. He has lots of words but doesn't string them together according to them (EI). We stopped regular milk and started giving him almond milk. There is a ST as part of EI program coming to his daycare which I don't find terribly helping after attending some of her sessions myself. Apart from that we worked with our DS at home and he now requests what he wants with words like Drink milk, Eat Banana's, Eat Cookies most of the times. Still doesn't say Yes or No though. We took him to a Pediatric Neuro and she looked at him for like 15-20 mins and said he is fine and may have some delays and nothing to worry and come back in six months. She was nice and my DS behaved great with her. Even the day care reported he was doing great and even held some other kids hands during circle time. All this happening in the last four months. Then he got sick again last week (he always gets cold and cough every 2-3 weeks) and this time it was severe and over the last week or so he started showing some symptoms the day care reported again and we started noticing some as well. Also he started playing circle time games which is plays in daycare and not willing to stop and get to other tasks and many requests. Sometimes ignores when called as well. We are also seeing he is reciting things in books a lot recently as well. He is also not sleeping like he regularly does, he cut is overall sleep hours by 3-4 hours and sleeping very uneasily as well. Other than that he stated having a BM after every meal. Other than the inhalers Qvar and Proair that his pediatrician gave him for his cough I am not sure what happened to him that got him worse again.

BTW we have contacted a local private agency to get some evaluations and testing for him before he got sick. They were supposed to do ADOS-2 testing with a physiologist. Speech and OT evaluations. He is having them this week and I am worried they will be seeing a worst of him and not his normal self.

I have some questions and really looking for some guidance. Should we go ahead with the evaluations? Secondly is this common occurrence that they regress back when sick? I am looking for some parallel's. Third what else can I do other than GFCF diet and ST. I am new to community and looking for other help I can give my DS. This is the most worried I have ever been as I don't understand if he is regressing or its just a temporary state.

Thanks,
Rob

Santosg

Re: New Here

Postby Santosg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Hey Rob,

I think you should definitely go ahead with the evaluation. If there is even a question-a maybe-in the mind of the examiner about your child having ASD I think it is worth pushing for the diagnosis. The diagnosis will help you get a lot of services that would otherwise not be available. Don't think of the label as anything but a way to help him get as much support as possible while he is young.

For the most part, I think that your son has some great skills. That's great news. So now make it your goal to catch him up to his peers. The suggestion that you don't 'worry' or just let him catch up on his own is a bad suggestion. Don't do it. Push for it yourself.

amndzon

Postby amndzon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Have you looked into the fact that your son might be suffering from PANDAS? You may wish to research that if you haven't already. Most kids with autism get better after being sick with a fever, yet your son gets worse and regresses. That is a symptom of that disorder. The constant cough and colds are another. Has your son ever had any strep infections? Did the pediatric neurologist check your son's strep levels as part of their evaluation? PANDAS has a lot of autism like features, but not every doctor considers checking for it.

Pants123

Postby Pants123 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Thank you both for your answers. We went to a physiologist and he acted very weird that day than he regularly does and we got a PDD NOS diagnosis from running ADOS-2 testing. He scored 11 it seems. 2 points were give to not responding for his name which he generally is great at. Anyway I am taking it very seriously and getting into more therapies soon. I took him to his pedi and he ruled out strep and told me not to worry about pandas. Not sure what to do now. I have some more questions which I will post in the biomed section.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”