Need advice on pre-school

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

McKennasmommy

Need advice on pre-school

Postby McKennasmommy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:26 am

Hi, I'm really needing some advice and opinions on pre-school. My now 4 year old daughter has been going to a place for speech, occupational and early intervention since she was 2. For two years her therapist have begged me to put her in the pre school program they have (which is only for children with special needs) I was very hesitant but I finally said yes about 2 months ago. My daughter is in a group of 7 kids with one instructor and each day I pick her up she is crying and her instructor says she just stands around most of the day not playing just watching everyone. I hate to hear that and I am thinking of pulling her out. What do you other parents think? I would love to find a program we can do at home for learning but can't seem to find anything. Any suggestions would be great!

stellarstarmomma

Re: Need advice on pre-school

Postby stellarstarmomma » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 am

Hi there,
I am new here too. I have twin 3 year old daughters and one was recently diagnosed with mild autism. She has a severe speech delay but her vocabulary has progressively improved since enrolling her into pre-school. I am in the process of enrolling her into an early development school for children aged 2-5 years old. They offer speech therapy, aba therapy and the school is specifically aimed for young children with autism. The school is through the district and is entirely free. My twins love their current daycare facility and friends but my other daughter requires more hands on therapy and will probably benefit more at this school. My advice to you is as a parent if you feel your child is unhappy and the staff is not trying to help or find new ways to make your child happy and comfortable you should look elsewhere. I found their preschool online and it had amazing reviews from other parents and I discovered the same with this special school. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best. I know how tough this whole process is.
Stellarstarmomma

FatherOf2

Re: Need advice on pre-school

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:13 pm

McKennasmommy wrote:Hi, I'm really needing some advice and opinions on pre-school. My now 4 year old daughter has been going to a place for speech, occupational and early intervention since she was 2. For two years her therapist have begged me to put her in the pre school program they have (which is only for children with special needs) I was very hesitant but I finally said yes about 2 months ago. My daughter is in a group of 7 kids with one instructor and each day I pick her up she is crying and her instructor says she just stands around most of the day not playing just watching everyone. I hate to hear that and I am thinking of pulling her out. What do you other parents think? I would love to find a program we can do at home for learning but can't seem to find anything. Any suggestions would be great!

In my opinion, schools make a big mistake by separating special needs students from typical ones. They skillfully convince you that your child is special needs and needs special support that he/she can only get in a special care class with fewer children and more attention. Of course, it is cheaper for schools to do so because they can hire only 1 aide for 3, 4, or 5 students + 1 teacher per class that can have 8-12 students instead of 22. The problem with these special care classes is that there are no typical kids to model. The nature made us such that we learn during our developmental age by modeling, not by someone telling us what to do. So, removing the element of modeling from the early childhood education (pre-school) negatively affects the development of special needs students. How on earth a non-verbal student will learn how to talk if he/she is placed in a class with other non-verbal kids? How will she/he learn how to properly play, behave, etc if he/she is among students themselves who don't have those skills?

Luckily, the law is on our side. FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) requires students with disabilities to receive instruction in a \least restrictive environment along with nondisabled peers. Schools are obligated to provide enough support for these students to succeed academically in these least restrictive educational placements, which means hiring 1:1 aides if necessary. Of course, schools will fight with you on that by saying that they already have special care classes where such aides are provided, only 1 aide for 3-5 students. My son attended such pre-school in nothern San Diego. His class had a quiet, no windows room with sound proofing, which the teacher called a "sensory" room. I called it a "solitary confinement" room because that was the real purpose of that room: isolate misbehaving students from the rest. That school skilfully convinced parents that their disabled children received mainstreaming by either being taken out for 0.5-1 hour a day into a typical class or typical kids being brought into that class for 0.5-1hr/day. How do you think special needs students can effectively learn if they are bounced back and forth between two classes or some strange students being brought into their class? Do you think they will start playing with typical kids-strangers right away, or start modeling them? These are all loopholes that schools use to avoid placing your child in a typical class with an aide.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”