Purpose of ASRS rating scale?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

daisyfern

Purpose of ASRS rating scale?

Postby daisyfern » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi,
My six year old son has had multiple social and emotional difficulties in kindergarten this year and is now in individual counseling on the recommendation of his school principal and teachers.

At the end of our first session the therapist provided copies of the parent and the teacher's Autism Spectrum Rating Scale to be completed. I have tried to learn more about this assessment, but cannot find very much online about it. Is this a screening or diagnostic device? Also, if scores on the ASRS are elevated, what would be the logical next step?

I am sure that I will get more info during our next counseling session, but was hoping to get a better understanding on my own. If more details are needed please let me know.
Thank you!

Winnie

Re: Purpose of ASRS rating scale?

Postby Winnie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 am

Hi daisyfern,

As I recall (I completed the parent version in the past), the ASRS is used to help distinguish autism from other diagnoses, as well as gather info on behaviors in several environments.

Just a guess, but in your son's case, perhaps if the profile suggests autism, the counselor might suggest a full eval as a next step.

Hope you find some answers for your son!
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”