Things you wish your aid knew about you/your child

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Hank Mardukis

Things you wish your aid knew about you/your child

Postby Hank Mardukis » Thu May 19, 2016 10:08 pm

I've been working with adults with a wide variety of disabilities for the last 25 years. Most recently I've been working in an administrative function running adult residential facilities. I'm soon going to be leaving my current job as direct care and the work I get to do as part of a team creating and adapting behavior plans, ISPs and the like makes up far too small a part of my job. In the current stage of my job search I'm finding that most of the jobs I am interested in involve working with children and teens with ASD. I have worked with numerous adults with Autism (ranging from 30s-70s) but never children and rarely teens. What I would love to know, before I apply for even one job, is this:

What do you wish your aide/support staff/team member or your child's aide/support staff/team knew? What bits of information have you found would greatly help someone looking to work with you/your child, yet doesn't seem to be as widespread as you feel it should be?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NNNNoonan

Re: Things you wish your aid knew about you/your child

Postby NNNNoonan » Fri May 20, 2016 6:37 pm

The thing that has shocked me the most about all the aides/therapists/teachers who have worked with my kids is how poor their communication skills are! :lol: I know that sounds weird, but I think a lot of people take for granted how unstructured their speech is, and how full of idioms, and how their tone fluctuates from instruction to instruction.

Like we had a swim teacher once for my daughter, who kept describing all the moves to her in terms of food: "move your hand like you're scooping ice cream!" "kick your legs like there's peanut butter stuck to your ankles!" I had to tell her again and again that, A. my daughter doesn't eat either of those foods, and B. those descriptions wouldn't make sense to her anyway. Literally all you have to say is, "LIKE THIS" and then do the motion. Maybe get her name in there if she's getting distracted.

Obviously the speech and comprehension skills of every kid are going to be different, but it's hard to underestimate the value of a direct, clear, short sentence:

"How has your day been so far today?" <--- This is an insanely hard question to answer.
"Is today a good day?" <--- Much easier.

"I need you to get in your chair and focus on your work, please." <--- This is a statement about what you need, my son wouldn't care one bit.
"Time to work." <--- This is a declaration of The Schedule (TM), and my son would follow a schedule to the ends of the Earth. :)

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”