newly diagnosed son

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

crystalrds

newly diagnosed son

Postby crystalrds » Sat May 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi. My son is 4 1/2 and newly diagnosed with ASD LEVEL 2. I had my suspicions but still kinda in that shock stage. I feel very overwhelmed. Not by the diagnosis but about how do i deal with this. How to change my approach with him and how i ask things and such. Is this always gonna be difficult?

Winnie

Re: newly diagnosed son

Postby Winnie » Mon May 23, 2016 3:18 pm

crystalrds wrote:Hi. My son is 4 1/2 and newly diagnosed with ASD LEVEL 2. I had my suspicions but still kinda in that shock stage. I feel very overwhelmed. Not by the diagnosis but about how do i deal with this. How to change my approach with him and how i ask things and such. Is this always gonna be difficult?

Hi crystalrds, I know this is an overwhelming time --

The best one-stop source I can think of is the 100 Day Kit -- an organized guide for what to do the first 100 days after diagnosis:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/docs/family_services_docs/100day2/100_Day_Kit_Version_2_0.pdf
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

annamariedickson

Postby annamariedickson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi. It can be challenging when you first get that diagnosis. I got the diagnosis of my first son in 2014 and when I finally accepted that and came to terms with it, my twins showed signs of ASD. Now I have three boys on the spectrum. Every day is a day of autism, but it will get easier. I find connecting with other parents with my experience really helps.
Mother of 3 autistic kids and autism advocate in parenting.

crazykool

Postby crazykool » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:04 am

It can be really hard when your son is diganosed with Autism, it's not a bad thing to have Autism, just be honest with your son & have a talk with him & say "listen son you have a little weird conidtion & it's called Autism, you are going to act a bit differrent than other kids your age".

In the future, try to get in into a school for his needs, find good friends for him, & most importantly try to treat him the same way, like before.

God Bless your family sir :)

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”