New Here - Son (5) With School Problems

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

GeneW

New Here - Son (5) With School Problems

Postby GeneW » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi, I live in NYC and my son is in an advanced Kindergarten program for autistic kids (horizon) which seemed like a perfect fit as he is unnaturally bright (reading at 2 and now he does multiplication without encouragement.). They've been having superficial problems with him they can't get him do to sit down, they can't get him to stand up, etc. the whole school year. He is being recommended that he go to something called district 75.

I don't have anyone to talk about it and my wife, who signed him up for all these programs originally, she is stressed out and out of it these days.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Winnie

Re: New Here - Son (5) With School Problems

Postby Winnie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Gene, welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about the organization of public schools in NYC, though it looks as though District 75 is a network of special schools for children with more severe challenges (academic and behavioral) that incorporates specialized instruction.

Happy to help look up info -- or just listen if that helps. :)
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Jennife2015

Re: New Here - Son (5) With School Problems

Postby Jennife2015 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi
The horizon program is for kids on the spectrum with lower IQ and the other autism program forgot the name is for kids with great academics and no. Behavioral issues. I am wondering why they are recommending district 75 program. This is generally for kids with behavioral issues and complex learning difficulties. Have they done an FBA on him? If behavior is an issue find out what they are doing to support him in this environment. Also look into getting a BCBA to help with behaviors. They can not force him to go to district 75 program. You do not have to agree. In the end you want to find best fit for your child. Find out about hiring an expert, to help you make this decision.

Good luck.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”