hanen program to encourage talking IT TAKES TWO TO TALK. what sort of hints/suggestions does it give please.

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

sylvia1111

hanen program to encourage talking IT TAKES TWO TO TALK. what sort of hints/suggestions does it give please.

Postby sylvia1111 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:57 pm

also alot of people have commented on the cost.
I did find the guidebook both in libraries and second hand on various sites much cheaper.

Winnie

Re: hanen program to encourage talking IT TAKES TWO TO TALK. what sort of hints/suggestions does it give please.

Postby Winnie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:18 pm

sylvia1111 wrote:hanen program to encourage talking IT TAKES TWO TO TALK. what sort of hints/suggestions does it give please.

also alot of people have commented on the cost.
I did find the guidebook both in libraries and second hand on various sites much cheaper.

I think looking for the book in the library or a used copy is a good idea. Also, if you have an Autism Society nearby, many (if not most) have a lending library for parents.

One search I use when looking for a book and shopping price is allbookstores.com -- the search results are ordered by price and include rentals:
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/9780921145196

I don't have a copy of It Takes Two, and don't know anything about your child's skills, but just a few very general tips on encouraging conversation (you asked about in another thread):

1. Engage in an activity or topic that your child finds interesting or reinforcing -- or join in on something your child is doing that he finds interesting.

2. Remember that this is also a social activity -- conversation is a social exchange.

3. Don't just ask questions and expect answers -- this is not really a conversation.

4. Use a lot of leading comments instead of just asking questions -- "I like the red car best," "The yellow car fell off the table!" "Let's crash the blue car" etc

5. When you do intersperse questions, use a variety of questions instead of just yes/no questions -- "Where is the blue car hiding?", "Which one should go next?" etc

6. If your child can answer questions about a situation not in the present, avoid attempting a conversation by asking general open-ended questions like "What did you do at school today?" Instead ask something more specific like "Who was the line leader today?"

Hope you can find a deal on the book!
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”