Skyping with Nonverbal Son, Need Ideas on Communication...

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jennifer78sc

Skyping with Nonverbal Son, Need Ideas on Communication...

Postby jennifer78sc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi all. Well, my son is living with my ex husband at the moment, in a different state. The only way at all for me to communicate with him is Skype. When Ive tried Skyping with him in the past, he will sit for a minute or two and if I ask him a question, he might answer (in his way) but he is very limited on communication. In person interaction is best, but unfortunately thats not possible right now. I just want him to know that Im still here for him and That I still love him and miss him. Does anyone have any ideas at all for communicating with a nonverbal child through Skype? The main thing he tries to communicate is "I want ice cream" lol But he cant sit and have a conversation. He does usually look happy to see me though. Some things that he enjoys doing is being on his ipad, the computer, looking at pictures, etc. He mostly just likes in person physical type interaction, but I have to improvise here. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, as Im going to try skyping with him tomorrow. Thanks all

Winnie

Re: Skyping with Nonverbal Son, Need Ideas on Communication...

Postby Winnie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:51 am

Sing!

Or whatever he loves that will engage his attention. You don’t have to have a verbal conversation – there are other ways to communicate that you love him. The important thing is that he loves seeing your face and hearing your voice -- that is what he will carry with him and look forward to next time.

Pair yourself with reinforcing fun things. What is on his iPad that he loves? Any silly songs that go with apps? Perhaps a favorite book you can read and show him the pictures?

Maybe use some action figures, objects, or big pictures of characters that he loves and popping them into the frame now and then – example -- if you model “I want Elmo (or ninja turtle, hot wheels, train, etc -- whatever he is interested in),” or "look, it's Leonardo!" and then pop the character into the frame, he may echo “I want Elmo,” or "Elmo," and you can pop Elmo into the frame again. That way you can actually comply with and reinforce his request, where with “I want ice cream,” you cannot.

If you know of several songs he likes, perhaps you could make pictures to represent the songs he likes and let him choose (this might be dependent on a yes/no indication when shown the picture, however).

Be silly – you might try an action figure, object, puppet, or stuffed version of a favorite character who tickles mommy, bites mommy’s nose, hides behind mommy's head, pull’s mommy’s hair, kisses the screen, etc, all while you narrate “(character/object) is tickling mommy!” That way you can also work in plenty of identifying yourself by your name – mommy.

And if he loves a particular stuffed character, action figure, book, or pictures that you use during skype, you might send him some just like yours. It will remind him of you, and maybe he will even use his to play when you skype.

I think the goal to keep in mind is joyful engagement. You are more likely to hold his attention by asking fewer questions and using favorite songs, favorite items, or just silliness, instead, to communicate how happy you are to see him.

Hope you two share lots of joy. :)
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

jennifer78sc

Re: Skyping with Nonverbal Son, Need Ideas on Communication...

Postby jennifer78sc » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:09 pm

thank you winnie

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”