Brain Balance, Learning Technics, BrainGym, etc.

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Winnie

Re: Brain Balance, Learning Technics, BrainGym, etc.

Postby Winnie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 am

B.L. Pike wrote:What's depressing here (besides the fraudulent claims) is how much we parents have to know just to run the gauntlet of self-proclaimed "experts" who would exploit our kids for their profit. Even if we have the grace to assume some of them are well-meaning, we still have to learn what questions to ask and how to vet their answers. Considering all we "desperate parents" have to learn, it seems like we are the ones who should be laying a claim to advanced degrees!

B.L.

Amen B.L.!

Treatment scams are all too common – who knew these would be among the dozens of learning curves parents face when raising a child with a disability? Really shakes one’s faith in decency.

The bad news is … the internet is an easy marketing vehicle to attract us “desperate parents.”

The good news is … the internet can help vet the claims and credentials.

I see that a parent who purchased his book left him a negative review on Amazon after exercising the power of google. Her review raised some interesting questions (or perhaps dots to connect). I’m reading through the “look inside” previews on Amazon more carefully.

Ack. This is in the “From the Author” section near the beginning of the preview for the Kindle version:

Finally, I am available for consultation anytime and am happy to meet with parents one on one, as well as with their children, to examine what programs may be most beneficial for them. My expertise in psychology may be of use to you in your search to help your child. In such cases I may be found at

DrHarlandLarson@gmail.com; please drop me a line and we can begin to help your child.
Thanks,

Dr. Harland Larson, BFA, MHA, PhD
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 pm

DrSwede wrote:I do apologize that you have misunderstood my intentions, I am a member of the APA in full, and have completed all the course work for a PhD in Cognitive Psychology. I hold that my book is a good resource to protect and empower parents from the fraudulent behavior of Brain Balance.

The courses included in the online “PhD” program that you enrolled in may be found here link.

Grand Canyon University doesn’t offer a PhD in Cognitive Psychology – according to the site, just a “general psychology” degree with “emphasis” in cognitive psychology that would not be recognized by any credentialing agency or licensure board (site clearly states that this degree does not lead to licensure). It seems to be essentially useless in the field of psychology, and you didn’t complete it anyway. This 60 hour online “degree” doesn’t qualify you to do anything as a “psychologist,” including observing basic ethics, apparently. I guess you kinda skipped the Ethical Issues in Psychology course.

In my opinion, GCU’s degree info seems obviously subpar as a doctoral program – but you had to have known this when you enrolled in a shortcut. And the majority of the courses relate to research and dissertation – you didn’t complete a dissertation, and based on what you have attempted to peddle to us as “research,” you do not have even a basic understanding of what constitutes research anyway.

A legitimate PhD leading to the necessary qualifications and licensure to practice takes at least 5 to 7 years – possibly longer in the cognitive sciences -- a legitimate doctoral program is selective -- looks like this (scroll to Requirements for Completing PhD in Psychology):
http://psych.indiana.edu/grad_admissions.php

So – you enrolled in a program offering a PhD in psychology that is essentially useless in the field of psychology, and then claimed expertise and a credential from the program that you didn’t even complete anyway.

Would this affect the accreditation of Fortis College (where you are a “professor”), if Fortis College hired you under the pretense of possessing a PhD (that you do not have)? Would it be awkward if your students knew of your false claims? Not exactly a fine example of academic honesty.

You want to sue the institution where you took courses for fraud, while teaching at another institution claiming to have credentials and expertise you do not have. And peddling “research” to parents while making false claims regarding your credentials? All while claiming an intent to protect parents from someone else's "fraudulent behavior?"

And you think I have "misunderstood your intentions?" Seriously?
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 am

DrSwede wrote:I hold that my book is a good resource to protect and empower parents from the fraudulent behavior of Brain Balance. […] I thought we were on the same side, protecting these poor children and parents from the fraud of Brain Balance.

There is (and has been) plenty of information critical of Brain Balance available on the internet by people who actually are knowledgeable, who are qualified to evaluate the claims, and who actually do have credentials – all free of charge and easy to google. Here are a few:

From Neurologica – written by Steven Novella, a neurologist at Yale:
Brain Balance http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/brain-balance/

Brain Balance Centers: total and utter neurobollocks https://neurobollocks.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/brain-balance-centers-total-and-utter-neurobollocks/

Brain Balance Centers: An insider’s perspective https://neurobollocks.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/brain-balance-centers-an-insiders-perspective/

From Science-Based Medicine: Brain Balance http://sciencebasedmedicine.org/brain-balance/

You seem to be all about taking down Brain Balance -- but protecting us from “fraudulent behavior?” Obviously not.

I can only read the “see inside” preview pages available on Amazon, but what I can see appears to be a report comprised of common knowledge about some available programs, your uninformed explanations of disabilities, along with your opinion and “recommendations” (posing as a PhD-level expert) interspersed. This is not research.

Connecting the dots – when you posted here that “we have finally made the research available to the public” with a link to your Amazon sales site, you were apparently working for Brain Works, LLC. The date on the Amazon page beside your paperback version is November 6, 2016, (link). Also at this time you were featured on the Brain Works, LLC website with false credentials and as teaching the Brain Training 101 course (as the feature on Brain Works LLC appeared on November 10, 2016 link here).

The other programs appearing in your book are competitors of Brain Works LLC. And interestingly, you recommend BrainWorks -- from Pg 89, “look inside” preview of paperback version on Amazon (fair use):

In all cases, I would recommend attending John’s former partner’s program at Brain Works. He pays his educators substantially more, at $20-25 per hour, garnering more qualified teachers, and he charges quite a bit less for the program. BrainWorks may also be capable of applying insurance in some cases. BrainWorks is also the only program represented in the book that has been interested in conducting scientific research on the product they offer, which is currently underway.

In the world of real research, this would be considered an undisclosed conflict of interest, which is a huge no no. Also, having a family member, like a spouse, for instance, who works for Brain Works, might also be considered a conflict of interest.

I can’t see the chapter about Brain Works in the Amazon preview, but I can see plenty about Brain Balance. Under the circumstances, this was amusing – from page 92 in your paperback preview (fair use):

There are a few red flags that arise when examining Brain Balance, specifically the credentials of Dr. Melilo and his research.

Yes, that credential thing can be a red flag.

So the bottom line, in my opinion -- this seems to be an advertisement for Brain Works, LLC, written by an employee of BrainWorks, who uses false credentials, to sell the ad promoted as research to parents, in order to further profit from “desperate parents.” What a business plan.

This stunt is not exactly a positive endorsement for BrainWorks, LLC – quite the contrary. In my mind, Brain Works, LLC and Brain Balance are in the same category – pseudoscientific junk to AVOID.
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:36 pm

*sorry -- accidental double post -- removed.
Last edited by Winnie on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:55 pm

DrSwede / Professor Swede Larson PhD / Dr. Harland Larson PhD / Dr. Swede Larson -- you have been really busy of late cleaning up the internet.

And the price of your book dropped this weekend too – the paperback and Kindle versions, respectively, from $13.99 and $9.99 (link), to now $4.42 for either.

I love a good sale, but some things aren’t a bargain even if free. Like dog poo, for instance. Or like advice and recommendations from someone fraudulently posing as a credentialed professional.

As long as you are cleaning up – you need to scrub your book – this still appears under the “Look Inside” Kindle preview, which coincidentally is available to the public:

Finally, I am available for consultation anytime and am happy to meet with parents one on one, as well as with their children, to examine what programs may be most beneficial for them. My expertise in psychology may be of use to you in your search to help your child. In such cases I may be found at

DrHarlandLarson@gmail.com; please drop me a line and we can begin to help your child.
Thanks,

Not only is this fraudulent representation of your credentials and expertise unethical (and possibly illegal), in my opinion, as the parent of a child with a disability, it is straight-up creepish to further use this ruse to lure parents and children into personal contact with you.

Keep up the clean up. :)
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm

DrSwede / Professor Swede Larson PhD / Dr. Harland Larson PhD / Dr. Swede Larson / Da Swede Larson / Harland Larson / Professor Swede Larson of Fortis College / Harland Larson PHD (ABT):

The fraudulent claims regarding your credentials and expertise, as well as the creepish invitation luring parents to personally contact you for consultation, remain on your Amazon sales page for the book you are peddling (Desperate Parents: The real reasons behind why bright kids can’t learn!):

Thanks,

Sale of this book is exploitation of parents and their children with disabilities, and posing as and providing services as a professional (psychologist), who is not qualified in any way to do so, is illegal in most states. Anyone who purchased this book, or received services from Swede Larson under his pretense of (false) credentials in psychology (potentially Brain Works, LLC), online or otherwise, should report this to the state in which he resides (Utah, apparently):

http://www.dopl.utah.gov/investigations/complaint.html
Winnie

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”