Brain Balance, Learning Technics, BrainGym, etc.

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

DrSwede

Brain Balance, Learning Technics, BrainGym, etc.

Postby DrSwede » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 pm

V
Last edited by DrSwede on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
S

DrSwede

Re: Brain Balance, Learning Technics, BrainGym, etc.

Postby DrSwede » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:27 am

We have finally made the research available to the public, it can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Desperate-Parent ... te+Parents

https://www.facebook.com/Desperatefamil ... &ref=br_tf
S

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

DrSwede wrote:We have finally made the research available to the public, it can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Desperate-Parent ... te+Parents

https://www.facebook.com/Desperatefamil ... &ref=br_tf

It is not "available to to public" if I have to pay for it. And three months seems like a short time to do research...

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:33 am

It seems the only place he is published is on Amazon, and the only thing he has published is an advertisement that one must pay to read.

Buyer beware -- Brain Balance and the like have been around a really long time, and still don't have the research to support the claims. But these sure sound attractive to "desperate parents" -- especially those of newly-diagnosed children.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

jacobcarl

Postby jacobcarl » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:23 am

Does it include Brain concentration ?

DrSwede

Postby DrSwede » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:27 pm

V
Last edited by DrSwede on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S

DrSwede

Postby DrSwede » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:32 pm

jacobcarl wrote:Does it include Brain concentration ?

The work begins by exploring exactly what each disability is and how it operates. Then it shows what each program professes to do to treat such program more importantly exactly what is really true about these, fraudulent programs are offering.
S

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:01 pm

DrSwede wrote:
Winnie wrote:It seems the only place he is published is on Amazon, and the only thing he has published is an advertisement that one must pay to read.

Buyer beware -- Brain Balance and the like have been around a really long time, and still don't have the research to support the claims. But these sure sound attractive to "desperate parents" -- especially those of newly-diagnosed children.

If you have read the work, you would find it is far from an advertisement for any program..... it is meant to guard these desperate parents from being taken advantage of!

Sounds interesting -- wish it was published open access in a journal somewhere instead!
Winnie

DrSwede

Postby DrSwede » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:07 pm

V
Last edited by DrSwede on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 pm

DrSwede wrote:
Winnie wrote:
DrSwede wrote:
If you have read the work, you would find it is far from an advertisement for any program..... it is meant to guard these desperate parents from being taken advantage of!

Sounds interesting -- wish it was published open access in a journal somewhere instead!

So we should do all this work on the project and not received recompense for doing it?

Well, you were "more than happy" to share with parents in your original post – was that to be in exchange for positive online reviews by any chance?
DrSwede wrote:I am currently conducting research and nearly about to publish our findings on these programs: Learning Technics, Brain Balance, BrainGym, etc. Our findings are very interesting at this point and I am more than happy to share them with anyone interested! Please email Dr. Swede at Swedehart@msn.com

As a consumer, I know that “research” on the effectiveness of these programs and the causes of various learning disabilities could not be completed in 3 months (?). I therefore must assume that (at best) your publication is a review of the evidence supporting the claims of these programs and your opinion of various causes of learning disabilities. I already know how lacking the supporting research is for some of these programs.

So as a consumer, I need information regarding your expertise and accomplishments in this field, in order to make a decision regarding the potential value of your opinion when taking the chance on purchasing content I cannot see.

Your email address took me to the site of an individual who is a musician and who has a bachelor’s degree in music (???). I was unable to find a sniff of a whisper about either a “Harland Larson PhD” or a “Dr. Swede” in the field of learning disabilities or research (or anywhere else, actually).

You have made other claims on the internet when advertising your "research" regarding having advanced degrees, starting a research company, being a professor, and having a team of "psychologists and Cognitive Neural scientists" working as "your" team.

Would you care to clarify and provide some support for your credentials, where you are a professor, who is on your scientific team, etc? The name game here seems almost purposely confusing.
Winnie

DrSwede

Postby DrSwede » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm

V
Last edited by DrSwede on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 pm

DrSwede wrote:I completed all the course work for a PhD in Cognitive Psychology at Grand Canyon University. My dissertation on self is in process and close to being complete, with Prospectus and proposal done, data collected, and the majority of the dissertation written.

Ah. Mr. Swede again.

AKA (as per you) Dr. Swede, Da Swede Larson, Dr. Swede Larson, PhD, Dr. Harland Larson, PhD, Professor Larson, PhD (Fortis College), Swede Larson BFA, MHA, Phd -- the guy claiming, and advertising to parents, ALL over the internet, to have a PhD in Cognitive Psychology, to have a team of "psychologists and Cognitive Neural scientists,” and a research company. And the author of the self-published book marketed on the net and sold on Amazon, Desperate Parents: The real reasons behind why bright kids can’t learn!

I see you returned to edit your posts here today (as per the time stamps for edits thus appearing on your posts), so you must have been whacked elsewhere for the legitimacy of your boasts, and are scrambling to remove your claims all around the internet. You have also added (ABD), which is not even a real designation, to follow your previous signature of PhD (as you have done elsewhere, including your book cover, which previously stated only PhD -- link here).

Since you seem to be a little foggy on the details of your own credentials, and evasive (even combative – I see you removed those remarks today) where my questions were concerned, I looked up the answers myself.

And the answer is: YOU ARE NOT A PSYCHOLOGIST, AND YOU DO NOT HAVE A PhD. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY.

It appears you did coursework at a diploma mill (your words) which you now wish to bring litigation against as you did not receive a degree, and that you were not even on track to receive a degree that would lead to employment as a psychologist (as per you, 2 months ago, your comments on the following site, link follows):
Fraud and Deception are occurring, the staff and faculty I worked with hugely mismanaged my dissertation journey, leaving me with huge debt, no degree, and even if I had finished the degree, it was not what they outlined at the beginning in my paperwork... meaning the degree would not have been useful in securing employment as a psychologist... [...]
and
[...]I am likely going to start over at the beginning of my degree, once the federal government has deemed Grand Canyon the fraud they are and refunded my money
http://www.challengestudentdebt.com/grand-canyon-university-scam/

Your following PhD with (ABD – All But Dissertation) means you do not have a PhD. You never finished your degree (submitting a dissertation is like, umm, a slightly huge detail were research PhDs are involved). ABD is sort of a made up term that means maybe someday you will finish a degree -- if you ever actually do a dissertation and then defend it successfully before a legit committee. Kind of a huge thing, actually.

This also means you have never practiced as a psychologist, since you do not possess a degree of any kind in psychology. Not to mention those post-doc supervised hours you must accrue.

This also means you are not licensed to practice psychology anywhere, and you never have been. You are not even eligible for licensure. (Just as an FYI for other parents – one can search a state’s licensure board for the license status of any professional and/or professional category. I checked Utah, for instance).

Shouldn’t you know more about this than I do? I mean -- considering your claims of expertise and years of experience, not to mention the marketing for your book and all. I hope you don’t mind my quoting some of your comments that you deleted today – I sometimes permanently archive information (including web pages at the time of my quoting or using information from them) when something seems amiss. Just in case a person making questionable claims decides to change their story and delete their previous info from the web. ;)

DrSwede wrote:As I mentioned previously the research took much longer than 3 months, closer to three years. I have a PhD from Grand Canyon University in Psychology, I am a professor with Fortis College, a very small nursing school in Salt Lake city, and I have done many years of educational research into programs like brain balance, both by working for them, and examining them.

Just a heads up – a few points you may want to consider if you are serious about ever completing a degree and becoming a licensed psychologist:

1. Dissertation committees (at legitimate institutions, anyway) may frown upon you claiming to be a Cognitive Psychologist with a PhD, when you are not, and/or using/selling data potentially collected during the course of your education/supervised hours/internship to sell in a book on Amazon.

2. ^That goes double for licensure boards.

3. And potentially for employers too – I see that you also identify as Professor Larson, PhD, at Fortis College. One would hope that if Fortis is a legitimate institution of higher education they would confirm the credentials of their staff.

4. If any of your data collection used in the “research,” that you are now selling on Amazon via your book was done during your time as a student, especially without permission from the subjects, you may be potentially violating FERPA and/or HIPAA. If this is the case, it may not only compromise you, but also the licensed professionals responsible for your supervision at that time. I don’t claim to be an expert on how your use of data jibes with the law, but you may want to read up on it, since you may need to be one. :)

5. Lastly, if you make allegations in a public forum of abuse occurring at a specific school and claim to have worked there, then you need to be prepared to support your allegations with evidence. Instead of trolling public forums lying about your credentials and ginning up stories from patients to resell to parents and/or patients under the banner of “research” for your book, you were legally and morally obligated to contact authorities if you were aware of/suspected abuse – especially in your capacity as a staff member -- though everyone in Utah is a mandatory reporter. If you failed to do so, or if you fabricated this information as well, I hope either the Vista school or the authorities come for YOU. Your post in a public forum, link follows:

I appreciate your position, and do indeed understand your response! I was the "creepy ass yoga instructor" as well as a music teacher, collegiate expert, and professional liaison between the school and the therapy programs. Having a Phd in cognitive psychology provides me a unique position and intense training I wish your therapist had undergone a Vista.I would not by any mean claim that Vista helps no one. But I would most whole heartedly claim that the majority don't get help there. Further more, the research I have been collecting support the abusive nature of the program there. I am VERY glad that Vista helped you, the vast majority of children attending the program don't get help; they do, on the other hand, leave Vista needing years of therapy to deal with the abusive treatment paradigms Vista therapists commonly employ.

[...]

Dr. Swede Larson, BFA, MHA, PhD.
APA full Member (9/2016)
NCRC
NPCA
NSS Member

http://pub40.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3407841501&frmid=564&msgid=865590&cmd=show

DrSwede wrote:I am not sure what else you would like, but it sounds like you either want to be critical and make assumptions, or that you want a free copy of work we conducted over a very long period of time.

Actually, it sounds like I was justified in asking the questions. I think parents of children with disabilities deserve accurate information, especially from the party peddling their product in a parent support forum and making misleading claims about their credentials and experience.

I swear, phony PhD braggarts are the worst. They wave their own red flags. Disgusting.
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 am

I see you removed your blog today where you represented yourself as "Dr" Harland Larson and sold psychological services:

https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://apathwaytothegoodlife.blogspot.com/p/psychological-services.html#!/p/psychological-services.html

You know, this blog (I'm afraid you were a little late removing/covering this track -- and you have others, btw):

As the page appeared yesterday -- link

You do realize that falsely representing yourself and selling a service you are not qualified to provide is a problem, right? Even aside from being obviously unethical -- like potentially a legal problem -- for you? Here is some info for patients or parents who encounter someone posing as a professional and claiming to have credentials they do not possess:
State Licensing Boards Contact Information

Each state has its own laws defining what professions are licensed and which licensing boards regulate each profession. If a therapist is practicing irresponsibly, incompetently, unethically, or without a required license, one of the licensing boards may be able to discipline the therapist, suspend their license if they have one, or issue an injunction against unlicensed practice. The licensing boards may also be able to refer cases after investigation to local law enforcement for civil or criminal prosecution. • If a therapist is licensed by a board (or has applied to be licensed) and has committed misconduct as defined by the board's rules, you can file a complaint with the board seeking disciplinary action by the board.

• If the therapist used a title which is granted by a licensing board (such as M.D. for medical doctor, "psychologist," "licensed professional counselor," "licensed clinical social worker," and so on) but is not in fact licensed, you can report the therapist to the board for using the title without a license. You can also report the therapist directly to local law enforcement officials for possible civil or criminal prosecution by the district or county attorney.

• Even if the therapist is not licensed and has not used a regulated title, if the therapist performed services which fall under the jurisdiction of one of the boards, you may be able to file a complaint with the board seeking an injunction against practicing without a license. For example, in most states, diagnosing or attempting to treat illnesses are defined as "practicing medicine" and may not be done by a person who is not an M.D.

Continues at this link

Have you read up on the ethics and law in Utah regulating the profession you claim to be practicing and the services you claim to be providing? You should. ;)
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:52 pm

In a number of locations online you claim to be a full member of the APA – like this -- link.

Dr. Swede Larson, BFA, MHA, PhD.
APA full Member (9/2016)
NCRC
NPCA
NSS Member

Since you do not meet the eligibility requirements, this appears to be yet another fraudulent claim on your part involving your credentials. Either you made false claims on your APA (American Psychological Association) application or you are falsely claiming to be a full member. This should be reported to the APA at the very least.

Eligibility

To be a full member of APA you need a doctoral degree in psychology or a related field from: a regionally accredited institution; a school that achieved such accreditation within five years of the doctoral degree; or a school of similar standing outside of the United States. Your degree needs to be based, in part, upon a psychological dissertation or other evidence of proficiency in psychological scholarship. If your degree is from an institution outside of the United States you’ll need to show U.S. equivalency.
http://www.apa.org/membership/member/index.aspx

Fraudulent resume claims (even those far less serious than claiming to possess a PhD when you do not) can be serious. Related article:
The Legal Risks of Lying on Your Resume

Trying to take an unsuccessful short cut through a diploma mill and then exacerbating the problem by lying about a credential you never received is a bad idea. Which you would know if you were actually knowledgeable about the profession you claim to represent.

Stay away from our children. Stop trying to mislead their parents.

For that matter, stay away from anyone in need of psychological services. Not only are you not qualified, you are unethical.

And no, I’m not finished with this thread yet. ;)
Winnie

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 pm

And dangerous, too.

Thank you, Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 am

B.L. Pike wrote:And dangerous, too.

Thank you, Winnie

You are so right, B.L. Pike – this fraud is exploiting a most vulnerable population, as well as their “desperate parents.”

It appears that not only do Utah authorities need to investigate Mr. Harland (Swede) Larson, they need to investigate Brain Works, LLC, as well.

Follows is “Professor Swede Larson’s” profile on the Brain Works, LLC, website (followed by his garble of dubious factual merit), just a little over 2 months ago, where he recently provided services (see below – Brain Training Course) using false credentials (see below). Brain Works LLC is a company in Utah.

The entire page may be viewed via the archived link here. This info has been scrubbed recently, but once something is published on the internet, it may never really go away. ;)

Professor Swede Larson, BFA, MHA, PhD-Cognitive Psychology
APA Full Member (09/2016)
NPCA Certified
NCRC Certified

On the Brain Works, LLC website he also (amusingly) advertises his “professor” ratings, which means that by representing himself as “Dr.” Swede, he is also defrauding Fortis College (which seems to have had some troubles of its own), as well as the tuition-paying students who assume his credentials are legitimate:

Rate My Professors (*See Dr Swede's Ratings)

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=2117999

The course he advertised as recently teaching at Brain Works, LLC:

Courses by this teacher

Name Level Release Date

Brain Training 101 2016-09-09 08:49:41

Such irony that Harland Larson, PhD / Swede Larson / “Dr.” Swede pretends to be warning us about fraud earlier in the thread – well, if we buy his book, that is:

DrSwede wrote:
jacobcarl wrote:Does it include Brain concentration ?

The work begins by exploring exactly what each disability is and how it operates. Then it shows what each program professes to do to treat such program more importantly exactly what is really true about these, fraudulent programs are offering.

lol, what a guy. Taking advantage of vulnerable people is just despicable.
Winnie

DrSwede

Postby DrSwede » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:02 pm

I do apologize that you have misunderstood my intentions, I am a member of the APA in full, and have completed all the course work for a PhD in Cognitive Psychology. I hold that my book is a good resource to protect and empower parents from the fraudulent behavior of Brain Balance. I removed the blog because I didn't know it was live....... again I apologize for your misunderstanding my intentions. I thought we were on the same side, protecting these poor children and parents from the fraud of Brain Balance. I will retreat from your attacks on my work that is helping a great number of people.
S

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:05 pm

DrSwede wrote:I do apologize that you have misunderstood my intentions, I am a member of the APA in full, and have completed all the course work for a PhD in Cognitive Psychology. I hold that my book is a good resource to protect and empower parents from the fraudulent behavior of Brain Balance. I removed the blog because I didn't know it was live....... again I apologize for your misunderstanding my intentions. I thought we were on the same side, protecting these poor children and parents from the fraud of Brain Balance. I will retreat from your attacks on my work that is helping a great number of people.

I certainly am on the side of protecting children, parents, and people in need of mental health services from fraud.

You entered this autism support forum posing as a psychologist with a PhD (among other erroneous claims), peddling your book and expertise to "desperate parents" for profit. And as has been demonstrated elsewhere in the thread, you have also provided services/instruction claiming to possess credentials you do not have (like at Brain Works, LLC, for instance).

If your claims were true, there wouldn't be any need to continue editing your posts, removing your claims online, and scrubbing locations where you made false claims. Perhaps claiming to have and profiting from a degree you did not earn is not favorable to your current scheme to sue the diploma mill you enrolled in for fraud. :idea:

Speaking of scrubbing -- you removed your linkedin online resume today. You are too late for the purposes of scrubbing your claims -- it is already archived (I'll upload it if you like). I have to say -- it contained some remarkable claims, most notably this one, under the heading of Education:

The Larson School
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Cognitive Psychology, 3.6
2013-2016

lol. Well, at least it would be funny that you awarded yourself a PhD from your own institution of higher education, except that many people might not check that fact. People might assume that surely no one would fabricate a tale so tall.

I hope this thread does serve to inform and protect children, parents, and anyone else in need of therapy or services. It's important that parents (anyone, really) verify the credentials, claims, and expertise of those providing services. This is important -- especially considering the vulnerability of this population and the fact that the clients involved may not be able to advocate for themselves.

Mr. Larson, if I have misstated a fact in this discussion, by all means, point it out. I like to be accurate -- parents and people with disabilities deserve accurate information.

And in that vein of informing the public and demonstrating how to verify and research claims, I will continue to post facts pertaining to this discussion. I still have a lot more to post.
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:05 pm

DrSwede wrote:I do apologize that you have misunderstood my intentions, I am a member of the APA in full , and have completed all the course work for a PhD in Cognitive Psychology.

Anyone can join the APA – even a high school student.

In order to be a full member of the APA, as you have claimed, you must have a PhD awarded by an accredited program. You 1) do not have a PhD, and 2) the diploma mill program (your description – linked earlier in thread) that you enrolled in is not accredited by the APA or by any entity recognized by the APA.

So please explain how you circumvented the primary requirements for APA full membership. If I have misunderstood facts, please explain:

Eligibility

To be a full member of APA you need a doctoral degree in psychology or a related field from: a regionally accredited institution; a school that achieved such accreditation within five years of the doctoral degree; or a school of similar standing outside of the United States. Your degree needs to be based, in part, upon a psychological dissertation or other evidence of proficiency in psychological scholarship. If your degree is from an institution outside of the United States you’ll need to show U.S. equivalency.
http://www.apa.org/membership/member/index.aspx

Of interest, see on the APA site:

About Accreditation
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/about-accreditation.aspx

And also, at the same APA link, since you have characterized the program you were enrolled in as a diploma mill elsewhere on the internet and plan to litigate:

Why are “degree mills” and “accreditation mills” harmful?
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/about-accreditation.aspx

Shouldn’t someone claiming to have a PhD in a field have at least some rudimentary knowledge about the requirements necessary to practice in that field? Yes, they should, and parents should expect it.
Winnie

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 pm

What's depressing here (besides the fraudulent claims) is how much we parents have to know just to run the gauntlet of self-proclaimed "experts" who would exploit our kids for their profit. Even if we have the grace to assume some of them are well-meaning, we still have to learn what questions to ask and how to vet their answers. Considering all we "desperate parents" have to learn, it seems like we are the ones who should be laying a claim to advanced degrees!

B.L.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”