Help with Seeking Diagnosis

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

PinkPeony

Help with Seeking Diagnosis

Postby PinkPeony » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:59 pm

I think my elementary aged step-son has ASD, and I need help in seeking a diagnosis.

He displays many of the common symptoms including (from AutismWeb) social immaturity, being unable to look people in the eye unless reminded, having unusual facial expressions, standing too close to others, an overly literal understanding of words and inability to understand sarcasm. He is able to hold a conversation, but usually only wants to talk about his own interests. He becomes very irritated when others try to change the subject. He has bathroom accidents, but his doctor has ruled out any physical medical cause. He finds it very difficult to concentrate on something unless it's what he wants to be doing right that second. He has a difficult time transitioning from one part of the day to the next, abs does best when we stick to a predictable schedule.

He is an extremely bright and intelligent kid, yet he struggles in school. He can list of a million specific facts about his favorite thing (video games), yet he can not remember a list of three tasks he is given. He has a terrible time getting along with other children at school. He tends to do things that push the other kid's buttons without realizing it. He is unable to tell when they become upset with him and usually does not understand why another kid is angry at him.

He is a very sweet and loving boy, but has an extremely difficult time controlling his own emotions. This has lead to a few violent outbursts at school. Teachers have been pushing us to seek outside professional help since pre-school.

I would really like to have him evaluated for ASD by a professional. I think he, and all of his parents, could benefit greatly from some professional help.

Meanwhile, nothing is being done to set my step-son up for success in the new school year. As parents, we are all frustrated trying to help him do better in school and get along with others, but we don't know how to help him. He is frustrated with himself as well, and is beginning to develop self esteem issues.

How can I go about bringing this up to his parents in a constructive way? The cost of care is an issue too. I really just don't know where to start, and would so sincerely appreciate any advice or help.
Last edited by PinkPeony on Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaumeb

Re: Help with Seeking Diagnosis

Postby jaumeb » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 am

It seems to me that your kid needs some help. That being said, I don't trust the autism professionals out there. I believe that autism is not a well understood condition and there is a lot of confusion about it. I have my own ideas about autism but I realize that everyone else thinks different.

DC1346

Re: Help with Seeking Diagnosis

Postby DC1346 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:47 am

I've been a teacher for 27 years. If you're in the states and you have custodial or joint custody responsibility for your step child, under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), you have the right to have your child evaluated at no cost through your public school district. The initial request must be submitted in writing. Listed below is the basic format which may be mailed or dropped off in person at your child's school.

Best wishes,

David

--------------------------------------------------

Date

Dear (name of director or coordinator of special education):

My child (first and last name) is having a difficult time learning. I am requesting that my child be evaluated for special education services. (Child’s name) is a ___ grader in Ms./Mrs./Mr. (teacher’s name) classroom at ______________School.

I understand that any information collected during current interventions with (child’s first name) will be completed and a meeting date will be set within the timeline as required by federal law. My signature on this letter gives my consent for my child’s evaluation to begin. I look forward to hearing from you. I am available by phone (name the days and times).

Sincerely,
Parent signature
Parent name, address, phone number

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”