Please help, self injuring

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

deanswaim11

Please help, self injuring

Postby deanswaim11 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Hey everyone, I wish I was on here to spread good news, but I need suggestions. My wonderful son is 28 m old. He was dignosed mild at 18m. Of course we were crushed and I went full daddy mode and started aba. At first he did extremely well. We were shocked at the progress. He was interactive and playing and pointing to things he wants (still non verbal) he is also one of the most sweetest boys ever minus his tsntrums. But about 3 to 4 months ago he started hitting slapping his face and bitting his hands, I mean till they bleed and till his face bruises. It started slow of course and has gotten out of control. First we thought it could be his teeth but we got that fixed and still he's doing it. It's super hard to pin point because it's 65 percent of our day trying to get him restrained and calm... any ideas?? Why would this come on like this??

jaumeb

Re: Please help, self injuring

Postby jaumeb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:15 am

What is he eating?

I just started looking into chamomile.

Grandmother

Re: Please help, self injuring

Postby Grandmother » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:43 am

My question is the same as Jaumed. What is he eating? Sounds to me like your son is in pain and it's getting worse. Grandchild would twist her wrists and point at her mouth, so something was going on in those same locations and she was aware of it, still trying to figure out what, but her diet was changed pretty quickly. Have you tried changing his diet? Eliminated casein, gluten, corn, soy, and all food additives and gone organic? If he had the MMR, especially eliminate glutamate.

Don't know if this applies to your son, but one of the primary problems with ABA is that it often uses food as a reward, often food that is toxic for them and makes them worse. If you're using food as an ABA reward, replace the food reward with something else, like building blocks or puzzle pieces. May want to also look into RDI therapy if ABA is causing frustration. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”