Safety and Sleep

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

montanagal

Safety and Sleep

Postby montanagal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:45 am

I've run out of ideas and don't know what else to try... my son, 8, doesnt sleep well. And we are working on helping with sleep on a medical/psychiatric level, however, we're making slow progress (he already takes multiple medications for sleep).

My son hates his bedroom and often refuses to sleep there- to the point of forcing himself to stay awake all night just to not sleep in his room. If allowed to sleep somewhere else he will still wake up randomlly through out the night.

My biggest concern is safety and keeping him inside when he does wake up at night. Weve tried chain locks, the bolts that slide, alarms that go off when doors are opened. Now we are left with pushing large furniture items in front of doors to keep him in. He's figured out every lock and alarm. And im terrified he'll go outside one of these times and get hurt or lost. Coupled with bolting behavior its safe to say no one in our family gets much sleep.

Any advice on what else we can try?!?

B.L. Pike

Re: Safety and Sleep

Postby B.L. Pike » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi, Montanagal,
Does your son like animals, and would he treat an animal well? Our son's service dog alerts us when he's heading out, which is certainly a help. Of course, a dog is another responsibility for you, but if it allows you to catch up on sleep it might be less stress than what you're dealing with now.

Have you looked into clothing lines that offer built-in tracking for lost kids?

Wishing you some real solutions to this exhausting problem!
B.L.

DC1346

Postby DC1346 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:58 am

montanagal wrote:My son hates his bedroom and often refuses to sleep there- to the point of forcing himself to stay awake all night just to not sleep in his room. If allowed to sleep somewhere else he will still wake up randomlly through out the night.
?

Could you explain why your child doesn't like his bedroom? Would addressing his concerns be an easy fix? You could make a parent-child project out of this.

It's just a thought.

Unclereeky

Postby Unclereeky » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:08 am

My son, Elijah, is 11 years old. In his younger years, we struggled with finding a safe and secure way for our son to sleep....if he can sleep safely, the rest of the family can sleep safely. After he outgrew the crib/crib tents, we tried tents. As he grew, he became much stronger..which made the tents end up torn up as he would wake up wanting to get out. He knew out to unzip the tent..but he would rather tear it up than just unzip it and get out.
After we found the tents weren't going to work, we looked into getting him a bed from Kayserbettan beds. These beds are very expensive , but are made for children with handicaps or children who need to be safely secured through the night to keep them from hurting themselves. After we found the bed we wanted, we submitted our order along with the prescription written by our pediatrician...but we were rejected due to our insurance would not cover the cost. Our next move was to take photos and try to get plans on how the Kayserbettan beds were built or made. My wife's brother-in-law in a carpenter and we sent the plans to him. He let us know he could build nearly the exact same bed...but we put a few changes to the bed plans ourselves. This bed has been used for 7 years...Elijah sleeps well in it...that's all he does in it too..he sleeps in it. It's not used for punishment and any other thing other than sleeping.
A couple days ago, we got a call from Jobs and Family Services/children services. Someone had seen the bed and of course made their own conclusions that it was a cage. I need to go back a little. My wife's niece has an autistic son also..his name is Hunter. Our neice had the same issues with Hunter, but she tried to put him in his own bed...with no types of security in place. One night, Hunter got up and started to wander the house. While he was wondering, he found a lamp that didn't have a light bulb innit. The lamp was plugged in..so what happened next is part of the main reason why we built our son, Elijah his bed. Hunter played with the lamp..while doing so, he stuck his middle two fingers on his right hand into the light socket. Immediately he was electrocuted..Hunter lost his middle two fingers and now has a huge scar on the back of his left thigh where the electricity grounded out the back of his leg. Like I said..this is the main reason we built his bed. His bed is 8 feet long, 4'8" wide and 7.5' high. There was no need for a top on the bed because he was not strong enough to climb out..but the day has come where we need to put a top on his bed..because he is definitely strong enough to climb out of his bed now.
The children's services people sound like they understand the needs we had for building this bed..but it seems not everyone is seeing it our way. I would like to hear from this forum about what you think of this. I feel we did what we needed to keep our son safe. Safe to the point of not being able to wander the house freely at night as we all slept. Please let me know your opinions or stories of these kinds of issues if you have any.

Sincerely,

Unclereeky

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello, Unclereeky,

I hadn't heard of KayserBetten before and have just spent some time exploring their website. Since they do mention (in their "blog") that these beds can be used to protect children from elopement and other night dangers, I'd imagine they've had a lot of communication from parents in your position with Child Protective Service issues. Have you contacted them and asked? I'd hope they might be able to help you connect with other parents who have dealt successfully with the bureaucratic nonsense.

Dealing with neighbors and complete strangers who have no idea what they're seeing when they see us with our kids can raise all kinds of confrontations. Please do keep us posted on your progress with this experience. Hoping for a prompt, supportive and beautiful resolution!
B.L.

AutismStinks

Postby AutismStinks » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”