How many hours of therapy is good ?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

avginok

How many hours of therapy is good ?

Postby avginok » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi All,
My son was diagnosed with ASD when he was 3 years old. He went through the state sponsored Early Intervention Program. We had in-home therapy, we didn't find it that effective. We are basically from India, I live currently in Chicago. While we went to India for a long vacation (3 months) my son went to therapy in India. There the typical schedule is OT 6 hours a week and ST 3 hours a week. We did see lots of improvement in him. Now we are back in US (chicago). He is now starting clinical therapy here, however in chicago, the therapist recommend 2-3 hours of OT & ST. I want to understand , what is the recommeded number of hours we can put him into therapy ? Please share your experience !

crazykool

Re: How many hours of therapy is good ?

Postby crazykool » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:46 am

About 1 Hour is about good, because sometimes you or your child might run of things to say for the session.

jacobcarl

Postby jacobcarl » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 am

Actually it depend but but as said by crazykool 1 hour is good..

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:40 pm

avginok wrote:Hi All,
My son was diagnosed with ASD when he was 3 years old. He went through the state sponsored Early Intervention Program. We had in-home therapy, we didn't find it that effective. We are basically from India, I live currently in Chicago. While we went to India for a long vacation (3 months) my son went to therapy in India. There the typical schedule is OT 6 hours a week and ST 3 hours a week. We did see lots of improvement in him. Now we are back in US (chicago). He is now starting clinical therapy here, however in chicago, the therapist recommend 2-3 hours of OT & ST. I want to understand , what is the recommeded number of hours we can put him into therapy ? Please share your experience !

A lot depends on the quality of the therapy and effectiveness of the therapist. At the height of our home therapy program when my son was three, we banked 25+ hours per week (ABA based program), which included some hours in a typical preschool. He made significant progress during his preschool years, and entered public kindergarten without supports.

So my recommendation would be to seek as much quality therapy and resources as you are able. And those quality hours can include your time working with him at home -- parents can be very effective therapists. In fact, parental participation in extending and reinforcing therapy targets and socialization is a positive indicator in progress and outcome. There are resources (books, videos, trainings) available for parents to help work with their children in the home -- Chicago is probably a good place to look for parent training workshops and conferences.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:39 am

1-2 hours is good.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”