Parent of possible AS toddler

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

dave009

Parent of possible AS toddler

Postby dave009 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Do physical symptoms always have to be present in a suspected 3 year old? My son just turned 3 and I am getting him evaluated, but can't seem to find out this answer.

The only signs he has is not replying to his name and milestones in speech. He can say full sentences, albeight short ones- but I'm thinking maybe they're stored from anything he heard, not learned?. He has no sensitivity to hearing, lights, has no sleep problems and no stimming.

Winnie

Re: Parent of possible AS toddler

Postby Winnie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:54 pm

dave009 wrote:Do physical symptoms always have to be present in a suspected 3 year old? My son just turned 3 and I am getting him evaluated, but can't seem to find out this answer.

The only signs he has is not replying to his name and milestones in speech. He can say full sentences, albeight short ones- but I'm thinking maybe they're stored from anything he heard, not learned?. He has no sensitivity to hearing, lights, has no sleep problems and no stimming.

It sounds as if what you are describing with repeating sentences could be echolalia -- so it is probably a good idea to have him evaluated, just in case. The M-CHAT is an early screening tool, and though it is valid for ages between 16 and 30 months, you may want to take a look at the items. You can view and score it here (probably will need to use upper age limit of 30 months):

https://www.m-chat.org/
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”