3 year old doing number sequences

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FishOutOfWater

3 year old doing number sequences

Postby FishOutOfWater » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:53 am

Hi I took my three year old son for his second appointment for testing. the school system are screening him for autism or other learning disabilities. they havent come back with a conclusion yet they are very on the fence as am i. they said if he is autistic that he would be high functioning. today when they were observing him he suprised everyone. they gave him a toy phone to see if he would pretend to talk on it and of course he didn't he was more interested in how it worked. he was messing with the buttons and they call out the numbers when you push them. he likes numbers he counts things a lot. Starting to pick up more words but he's no where near where he should be with comunication and such. anyway he is pushing these buttons and starts doing number sequences. the ladys jaw dropped as did mine. she was really suprised and excited. He went on for ever with it until they took it away to do something else. Is this an autism thing I'm wondering? He does things like that randomly and it suprises you because you don't expect it especially when he is struggling with other thing that most kids his age have down pat. anyway was just wondering and had to ask. thanks for your time.

Winnie

Re: 3 year old doing number sequences

Postby Winnie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 pm

FishOutOfWater wrote:he likes numbers he counts things a lot. Starting to pick up more words but he's no where near where he should be with comunication and such. anyway he is pushing these buttons and starts doing number sequences. the ladys jaw dropped as did mine. she was really suprised and excited. He went on for ever with it until they took it away to do something else. Is this an autism thing I'm wondering?

Sorry just noticed this post -- you may have some answers regarding a diagnosis by now.

That's not uncommon in kids with autism -- my son did the same. Kids who are fascinated with numbers may also be adept with letters, signs, logos, shape names, and sight words. It sounds like he was attending to the numbers instead of playing with the telephone as a typically-developing toddler would -- and was a little too interested in continuing the activity (also common in children with autism).

Interested to know what the school decided -- you may want to have him evaluated independently by a professional who has experience diagnosing children with autism.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”