Might be fired for being Autist = Grounds to sue employer?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

D24Delivery

Might be fired for being Autist = Grounds to sue employer?

Postby D24Delivery » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:56 pm

First off, I love my job, but being Autistic, I do struggle at a few things. I am a hard worker and have shown up for my shifts and even my store manager says she doesn't want to lose me.

Here's where the Autistic part comes in. I have to do certain something that requires me to memorize amounts and toppings (restaurant) in a certain amount and way.

Management won't budge on the timing of how quick we have to make things. I'm a bit slower because of my difficulty in concentrating and remembering, and yes, I have a medical record of being diagnosed with Autism.

Under the EEO and ADA my employer should be able to provide reasonable accommodations. Since they know I'm Autistic, and have difficulty concentrating because of that, will I have grounds for legal action if they fire me?

I'll know tonight whether or not they will fire me.

I'm just torn apart here. I love what I'm doing and no one else there, even other new workers struggle with what I do.

Believe me, legal action would be an absolute last resort.

I just got my life back together again after losing another job. I have a place to rent (which is great considering I was homeless and staying at friends' homes until I got a job and a place to rent)

I'm really just stressed, and frightened of what happens after tonight. I know all I can do is my best and that's what I intend to do tonight when they are going to test me.

jaumeb

Re: Might be fired for being Autist = Grounds to sue employer?

Postby jaumeb » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 am

Relax, breath calmly and do your best. I hope they keep you.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 pm

This is why I hate capitalism.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:59 am

I don't know the legal implications involved with your question, but I just wanted to wish you luck in keeping a job you love. So sorry you are experiencing such a stressful situation.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

socalwoman

Postby socalwoman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 pm

If there is a human resources department where you work, contact them and ask them to help you receive accomodations so you can continue to do a good job for them. Make sure you have proof that you informed your employer you have a disability that requires a reasonable accomodation (more time for toppings). Keep notes on who said what to you and when. If you are fired, use your notes to prepare a charge with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and to apply for unemployment. Good luck!

okrad

Postby okrad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:52 pm

That is terrible!!! I cannot believe NTs. Why would they do that to you? PLease let us know what happened.

Everyone talks a good talk about autism but when they KNOW you, it's all different. I have kind of gone back to being non-verbal in certain settings because I cannot stand all the trouble I get when I do something as simple as try to explain myself.

Kevin Levites

Postby Kevin Levites » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 am

I am 50 years old, and was diagnosed with high-functioning autism as an adult.

I have been in the situation many times, and, unfortunately, my handicaps weren't accepted by my family, my employers, and my schools.

My mother, for example (RIP), would say to me: "Asperger's people have a special interest, where they excel. All you have to do is make 'being normal' your special interest, and then your autism would become invisible, which is the same thing as saying that it doesn't exist.
"That's why you choose to be autistic, and if you choose to be autistic, then you deserve to lose your job. Don't come crying to me. You create these issues on purpose."
I have had to hide my autism...much like the homosexuals of fifty years ago who didn't want to get fired for their preferences, or light-skinned African Americans who "passed for white" in order to get better jobs and housing.
I have had to sue my employers and schools about things like this many times, but it's a hollow victory.
I would much rather have a job and an education than money from lawsuits and arbitration.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”