Autism & Parent Death

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

metalhead-miner

Autism & Parent Death

Postby metalhead-miner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi! Recently my 2 sons had to go through their mom committing suicide. We had been divorced for about 6 years. I have my boys full time now, and just wanted to get some advice on what an Autistic teenager aged 13 might be thinking? He's pretty quiet and doesn't express his feelings that often. He has a Therapist that is helping him deal with this situation also, but doesn't want to talk to us about it. There was your typical bad blood between his mom and I, and he was a "mommas boy". We just want to help him get through this difficult time. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Winnie

Re: Autism & Parent Death

Postby Winnie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:57 am

What an incredibly heartbreaking and difficult situation for you all. I wouldn't begin to know how to give advice here -- other than to suggest you all work with his counselor.

All the best to your boys and to you -- hoping that time heals.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:08 am

The fact that he doesn't show his feelings doesn't mean they are not there. Somehow autism magnifies all the feelings making them difficult/impossible to be normally processed. He will need tons of extra love and care.

The things that occur to me are making long walks in nature and/or planting a tree that he can water and take care of to express his love to his mom.

connieapmag

Postby connieapmag » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:16 am

I'm sorry for your loss. but the death of your ex-wife can be devastating to your sons especially the one with autism. They may be less emotional or even seem “robotic” but this doesn't mean that they don't have any feelings at all, it's just difficult for them to express their feelings. He may be very confused right now and having a hard time processing information. All you have to do is to state the fact (that their mom died) acknowledge his feelings as a part of bereavemanet and help him understand death.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”