Daughter's unhealthy obsession with fictional characters

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Babydoll1998

Daughter's unhealthy obsession with fictional characters

Postby Babydoll1998 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:03 pm

My daughter, age 18, is obsessed with a character called Cat Noir from Miraculous. She looks at him all day on her iPad at school, in her room, and in public.

Recently she has fallen in love with a non-animated, live action character, Phoebe from The Thundermans. She also looks at pictures of Phoebe whenever she can. She has liked female characters such as Flame Princess from Adventure Time, and males such as Harvey Beaks and Terrance from Angry Birds Movie in the past. She also had an infatuation with certain Pokemon. But her Phoebe obsession goes a bit further. She has become obsessed with the actress who plays Phoebe on the show. Her name is Kira Kosarin.

I am concerned with my daughter. I asked her if she had "good feelings" about Phoebe, Cat Noir, Kira, etc and she said yes. She admits she cuddles herself in bed thinking about them.

Winnie

Re: Daughter's unhealthy obsession with fictional characters

Postby Winnie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Babydoll1998 wrote:My daughter, age 18, is obsessed with a character called Cat Noir from Miraculous. She looks at him all day on her iPad at school, in her room, and in public.

Recently she has fallen in love with a non-animated, live action character, Phoebe from The Thundermans. She also looks at pictures of Phoebe whenever she can. She has liked female characters such as Flame Princess from Adventure Time, and males such as Harvey Beaks and Terrance from Angry Birds Movie in the past. She also had an infatuation with certain Pokemon. But her Phoebe obsession goes a bit further. She has become obsessed with the actress who plays Phoebe on the show. Her name is Kira Kosarin.

I am concerned with my daughter. I asked her if she had "good feelings" about Phoebe, Cat Noir, Kira, etc and she said yes. She admits she cuddles herself in bed thinking about them.

You didn't mention the approximate developmental level of your daughter, but if she is on the internet, it would probably be a good idea to monitor her use as well as any social media she uses or comments on. Sometimes kids might leave comments that could be misunderstood (either in content or frequency), so just in case, even for her own protection on the internet, she probably needs some supervision.

There isn't anything you can do about her feelings for whatever/whoever her current intense interest is -- perhaps it will subside as she becomes interested in another program.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”