Non-Verbal 22 Month Old Son May Be On The Spectrum?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

jabi88

Non-Verbal 22 Month Old Son May Be On The Spectrum?

Postby jabi88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:27 pm

My little boy will be 2 in December. He doesn't talk at all, and he never has - never a Mama or a Dada or anything, so it isn't that he had it and then lost it. He didn't crawl til he was over a year old and he didn't walk til 17 months. He rarely makes eye contact when I am speaking to him, but he is an overwhelmingly happy child, lots of smiles and always content. When he wants food or drink, he indicates by walking to the kitchen or reaching for his cup. He occasionally flaps his arms, but not for extended periods of time, and if I hold his arms, he generally settles down (sometimes he fights being held still). He likes to run in circles around the living room and there is one cartoon which he will watch and he doesn't like anything else, but those are his only obsessive behaviors. He is incredibly flexible with his schedule. He is a good eater, and while he has become more skeptical of new foods lately, he still tries new things half the time. He will entertain himself for long periods of time, but he usually checks in with me every ten minutes or so, either with a look or by walking over to me. But he won't play interactive games like peekaboo. He is meeting with an occupational therapist but they haven't given any sort of a diagnosis. I am just curious what anyone else's experiences have been. I think I am mostly afraid that he is never going to talk, or that he is going to get worse and start having tantrums, inability to cope without routine, etc. I just don't know what to expect or what to think. Does it sound like he is autistic? What has anyone else's experiences been at this age and wondering if something is wrong but not knowing yet? Any input would be appreciated.

Cadesmum

Re: Non-Verbal 22 Month Old Son May Be On The Spectrum?

Postby Cadesmum » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi, my son is like yours.
he is 2 yrs and doesn't speak, he was a quiet baby a "good" baby, slept through the night (still does) he points to what he wants, but i noticed recently he doesn't play imaginary type games, will laugh at peekaboo or if im going to get him with the tickles but won't do it back to me. i noticed he doesn't clap when i do. he does interact and follow kids but its like he doesn't know what to do when he is around them.

he walks perfectly down stairs, crawled early but didnt walk till 14months, he is a great eater and often finishes his food then has some of mine or others. although over the last few months (i cant remember exactly coz i wasn't paying attention) he chews meat and leafy stuff and keeps it in his mouth then spits it out.

when i told a friend he wasn't talking she asked if maybe he was on the spectrum... i was like "ummm nooo haha!" because he always comes up for cuddles, he brings toys to me always checks in with me (like yours) but then after a google search i picked up alll the signs. absolutely devastated. i realized when he was playing with his cars (pushing then back and foward making car noises) he was actually staring at the wheels, his cuddles were possibly because he likes the pressure on his body (he sleeps with a large soft toy on top of him) his pupils are larger then other peoples, he walks up to complete strangers and hangs off them, doesn't wave when waved at etc etc.

he hasn't been officially diagnosed as i am putting my efforts into biomed appointments and speech therapy at the moment (this realization only happened almost a week ago) as i feel i cannot put this off. but he definitely has it. he has speech therapy booked for a few weeks away and i was lucky to get a biomed app in a few days.

i just thought id reply to let you know im going through the same thing. its an awful feeling, i have hardly eaten or slept since a realized. but i have hope, all those sleepless nights ive been reading this forum. im glad i didn't go to a normal doctor for them to tell me there is no treatment or possible progress to be made, I cant imagine what state id be in if i had.

jabi88

Postby jabi88 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks so much for your response. It is so nice to know I am not the only one working through this.

Cadesmum

Postby Cadesmum » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:14 pm

jabi88 wrote:Thanks so much for your response. It is so nice to know I am not the only one working through this.

Hey i thought id update.
I changed my sons diet to an scd type diet minus the intro, started giving him a cup of bone broth daily, made some gelatin jellies for his belly, give him magnesium baths every second day, zinc everyday (he stops putting random stuff in his mouth from this) made my owm home made coconut milk and put calcium mag vit d3 in it(store stuff too much sugar) he no longer eats anything sweet (incase of yeast) proefa 369 and vit e (for speech might be working he now says car and ball which is super cute coz of all the xmas trees around hes saying ball and car a million times when we go out)

I juice once a day high folate veges, the biggest difference i noticed was when i gave him liquid chlorophyll (better eye contact, answering to name, chilled out not constantly moving like he was before, doesn't squeal randomly through the day anymore, his buda belly is gone generally seems happier) his poos are still rank and def still autistic but a huge improvement, we did atec score for him and hubby and i rated him 66 and 67 i would say it would be much less now. I haven't been back to the biomed yet for results. I thought id let you know incase any of this helps you.

Hows everything going for you?

Laurenlaflower

Postby Laurenlaflower » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 am

Hi! I'm an adult autistic person and I'd just like to let you know, contrary to popular belief, autism isn't a bad thing at all! In fact, autism is nothing more than a different type of brain. It may be very confusing to see that your child isn't making eye contact or speaking much, but don't worry! It's just your child's natural body language and way of communicating.

See, for many autistic people, eye contact is unnatural and in fact can be very uncomfortable and even painful. Just like eye contact is natural for non-autistic people, it's natural for autistic people to use other means to show that they're paying attention. Hand flapping is a good example of one of these things! Hand flapping is a form of self stimulatory behavior (which is an activity that non-autistic people do as well! Tapping your fingers on a desk or shaking your leg are more examples) which can be a way to express emotions, regulate sensory input, or just to relax.

For many autistic people, hand flapping means they're very happy! So happy that they just can't contain it, so their hands flap to show how happy they are. This is very natural and healthy for autistic people to do, and in fact suppressing this behavior is very stressful and even damaging for the autistic person!

Stimming (short for self stimulatory behavior) is also a way of regulating sensory input for autistic people. We often have something called sensory processing disorder, which basically means we have trouble processing all the sensory input in our environment. This is why autistic people often hate loud noises and some textures, because we feel everything much more intensely than non-autistic people. Sounds are much louder to us and some textures are much more unpalatable for us than other people realize, so we stim to cope with these sensory issues.

For example, I use kinetic sand to stim with when I'm out in public, because my ears are very sensitive and all the sounds of being outside are very overwhelming and painful! But playing with kinetic sand in a little plastic bag helps to regulate that sensory input, which helps me to avoid having a meltdown (commonly mistaken for a tantrum, which is NOT the same thing!)

When autistic people "throw a tantrum" for "no reason", it's very often because they are experiencing sensory overload! In addition, let me make a clear distinction between a tantrum and a meltdown. A tantrum is a deliberate act of crying, screaming, etc in public with the intention to get what they want. For example, if a child is screaming and crying to annoy their parent so much that they'll buy them a candy just to shut them up, that is a tantrum. A meltdown is when an autistic person is overloaded so much that they cry, scream, etc. This is done out of true pain and suffering, not to get their way. That is the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if this wasn't clear, I'm writing this very late at night and I haven't gone back over it. I know there's a lot of information here, but my hope is to give you a better understanding of autism and let you know that there's nothing at all to be afraid of. Hopefully this will save you lots of money, confusion, and frustration in your dealings with your possibly autistic children!

jabi88

Postby jabi88 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Thank you guys so much for your responses! Cadesmum, that is awesome that your son has made some progress in communicating. My little boy is pretty much the same as when I first posted. No words, no attempts to speak. He will be seeing a neuropsychologist in February - hopefully at that point we can find out whether or not this is actually autism that is the source of his unique development.

And thank you, Laurenlaflower, for all of your insight! I think my biggest concern about his possible autism is just concern that I will figure out as his mom how best to nurture him and help him progress and grow, though I am already realizing that there is a whole lot for me to learn from him! He is the happiest kid in the world, and I guess I need to realize that if running laps in the living room or rolling around on the floor in his fuzzy blanket is what makes his two-year-old heart happiest, that is totally fine and good. :) He does flap his hands a lot and I can tell he is doing it out of sheer joy. I don't try to stop him - I know he is just expressing himself.

I personally am slightly uncomfortable with eye contact in general - I have to focus and make myself look someone in the eye when talking with them - so I can understand just the general sense of how it is not a bad thing that it just isn't natural for autistic people. I am so totally ok with that. I just want to know how to get my son to pay attention to me and how to know when he is paying attention. So far, he completely disregards anything I say to him - anything at all - from "hey it's bedtime" to "here's a cookie." Even if the house is quiet and it is just me and him interacting. I just want to find ways to interact and communicate with him in ways that are meaningful and work for him. Does that make any sense?

Cadesmum

Postby Cadesmum » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Have you tried talking to him different? My son ate gluten over xmas and has been a nightmare for a week. The only way he listens to me is if i put on a full on enthusiastic voice in a higher tone.... its super weird and i look like a complete nutter but its the only way hes listened to me this past week. Have you changed diet yet or anything? It helps ALOT! My son doesn't eat gluten dairy nuts eggs sugar or rice/potatoes and he does very well on it. We eat alot of stuff made from coconut i even have to make my own coconut milk coz the only organic one at the shops contains way too much sugar. I haven't been doing it long but ive got a few recipes that I've found or made that make life easier including gut healing gummies, muffins etc he has fresh vege juice in the morning coconut milk at lunch and bone broth after dinner, he takes a few supps aswell as the diet and we are starting mb12 shots in a week as social and speech are what we are missing at this point (except for if he eats gluten :( wont be doing that again!) So hopefully that helps. How is everything going?

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”