App for autistic kids

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

ondrejvrabel

App for autistic kids

Postby ondrejvrabel » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi, I'm new here. Do you have any experience with apps for autistic kids?
Thank you

monkeyman

Re: App for autistic kids

Postby monkeyman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:00 pm

MITA app is good

Thatcher

Postby Thatcher » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Subscribed if you don't mind
i'm looking for sth like this too
Thanks. i've tried this suggested app. Very nice. thank you again/.

autistic19

Postby autistic19 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:21 pm

What sort of app are you looking for? There are tons of apps that can be helpful in different areas. So it really depends on what you want the app for. I have experience with a few that I've use myself (I'm autistic)

Choiceworks is a fantastic app for visual schedules and for reminders on how to regulate oneself in different situations. It has a dark colored background which is great for visual sensitivities and visual processing. It's very customizable too.

For autisitics who like to stim visual by looking colors and moving things there are a few apps I use: Fluid, Fluidity, and Headpad HD.

For older kids who use concept maps in school there's Inspiration Maps which is great for visual thinkers.

Then there are AAC apps for communication, though they tend to be expensive. AAC apps aren't just for autistics who are non verbal. I'm verbal 99% of the time, but there are times when I'm overwhelmed or beginning to have a meltdown when speaking is difficult or impossible. Sometimes the meltdown is centered around communication and using an app to speak in these situations is easier. I use verbally, which has preprogrammed works are phrases and the ability to type words that it then speaks aloud for me.
I'm an autistic studying special ed., here to learn about autism from a parent's perspective.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Here are 3 apps for autistic kids you can try:
1. First-Then Visual Schedule
This app provides visual schedules to help with transitions and decrease anxiety. It costs $9.99 but for all the advantage it can bring, then it deserves to buy.
2. Autism Track
According to a scientist Patricia Aguayo, MD, MPH, Medical Director Autism Services, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at Hospital for Special Care., his customizable data tracking tool allows parents to easily track behaviors, interventions and symptoms in one place. Parents can also review trends in their child's data and share these data with school and medical providers to inform treatment planning. This app is especially helpful for children with challenging behaviors, psychiatric conditions or both.
3. DreamPad
This unique app uses a pillow with embedded transducers that play relaxing music through vibration to induce relaxation and sleep. A study on kids with autism conducted by Dr. Sarah Schoen of the SPD Foundation concluded all 15 participants showed improvements in sleep initiation, duration of sleep, reduction in night waking, and improved daytime behavior.

Jen

Postby Jen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am

Recently started using 'Speak My Mind', it seems promising.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/speak-my-mind/id1215388592

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”