Could I have aspergers or extreme social anxiety disorder?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

anais26738

Could I have aspergers or extreme social anxiety disorder?

Postby anais26738 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I don't know if I have aspergers syndrome or extreme social anxiety (or something else). I'm trying to get a good idea of what it could be so I can talk to my doctor about it. I'm 18 and I have no friends and rarely leave my house (never alone). I've had 'friends' but have never felt comfortable around them and feel as though I had to put on an act (I don't see them anymore and never want to see them again). I find it so stressful being around other people especially my age and a bit older. I find it hard to have a conversation and feel very anxious doing anything I don't feel like I can do. I don't want to have friends or go anywhere that requires social interaction. I have had fits of extreme anger where I swear over and over (mostly by myself so no one hears or sees me). I also have severe emetophobia. I have had many panic attacks (often leading to convulsions) and have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression (years ago). I am sensitive to loud noise and I notice that I do things like pace back and forth and tap my collar bone. I can't envision myself as independent, driving vehicles, or being in relationships. I like to be alone but I wish the world was more like how I see it. I just don't feel like I can be a normal functioning person. I don't feel like I can be an adult. Something has always felt off to me. Please let me know what you think and I'm sorry this is so long.

*I have posted this question on two other websites, but no one is answering it*

autistic19

Re: Could I have aspergers or extreme social anxiety disorder?

Postby autistic19 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:42 pm

It's a difficult question to answer especially since I don't know you and I'm not a professional qualified to diagnose. Some of the things you mention sound like social anxiety and some of the things could be autism. To me it definitely sounds like you have a lot of anxiety, but then there's the question of whether or not there's autism underlying the anxiety. Difficulty understanding social interactions(which could indicate autism) could be at the root of your social anxiety, or it might not be. Sensitivity to loud noises could be due to autism, but it can also be due to constantly being in a state of severe anxiety. Same with pacing and tapping: they could be self stimulatory behaviors (often referred to as stimming) due to autism, or they could be anxiety related or even both. See how it's a difficult question to answer? My suggestion would be to bring it up with your doctor just like you brought it up here. Describe the symptoms and feelings you have and ask your doctor if they think it's autism, social anxiety or both, or something else. Be as open an honest as you can, they're there to help.

It's frustrating not knowing the reason for symptoms you're having. Believe me, I've been in your same situation more than once, both with my diagnosis of autism and more recently with my diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome.

I didn't envision myself as ever being able to be independent either at 18. Now just a couple years down the road at 21 I'm starting to feel that it might be possible. Remember that autism is a developmental disorder: we tend to be late bloomers. At 18 many people without autism don't feel like they cant be adults yet either. Don't just look at the things you aren't able to do as things you can't do. Look at them as goals to achieve.

*one a side note, if you're in the U.S. or Canada, the diagnosis of Aspergers is no longer used. It's been combined with autism under one single diagnosis: Autism Spectrum Disorder. That's why I've used the term autism instead of Aspergers. You'll still run into a lot of people who still use the term Aspergers though.*

I know I've given a lot of information. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer your question directly, but I hope you find the answers soon. :)
I'm an autistic studying special ed., here to learn about autism from a parent's perspective.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”