I think my friend's 4yr old son is Autistic?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

concernedfriend15

I think my friend's 4yr old son is Autistic?

Postby concernedfriend15 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi, for months I've been concerned my friend's son has a developmental issuse; and I'm not sure how to start the conversation, or if I even should? He is an incredibly smart kid! He can read, do some sign language, and recognize his numbers 1-10. Since he was 2 he has exhibited behaviors unlike that of my own son, who's the same age. He can't speak well; he is just now beginning to say a few things, and kind of form sentences. You can't have a conversation with him, since most of what he says is jibber jabber. When gets excited, he flails his hands around. He's almost constantly moving his hands, when he's standing up and in the car seat. I've noticed that when speaking to him sometimes, it's like he ignores you, or isn't hearing you at all... almost as if he's in his own little world. He refuses to eat anything unless it's Cheetos and now Peanut Butter (my friend tries every day to get him to eat other foods, and has shown concern regarding this). I'm not around him 24/7, I just see him every week or every other weekend, but I've never seen him play make believe, or any of the things you would expect a 4yr old child to play. He is currently obsessed with vacuums. He watches YouTube videos all day of people vacuuming, reviewing vacuums, and this past weekend threw a tantrum in Walmart because he couldn't take one home. He really loves Hoovers and will repeatedly say Vaccum brands and vacuums at home, and his grandparent' house.

I know every child develops at their own pace; but I can't shake the feeling that there's something more here. He is so bright and so special to me. Am I wrong for wanting to bring this up to my friends? How would I even go about it? Thank you all so much.

jaumeb

Re: I think my friend's 4yr old son is Autistic?

Postby jaumeb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 am

At the very least he should start eating a healthy diet. Some of the foods I'm using are potatoes, lentils, quinoa, buckwheat, some veggies, organic meat, wild fish, evco, evoo ...

concernedfriend15

Postby concernedfriend15 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 pm

To my knowledge, and from what I've witnessed, they try to get him to eat other foods. He literally refuses, and they're afraid he would go hungry, if they put their foot down and wouldn't give him the only thing they know he will eat. They buy these shakes for all the vitamins and nutrients he's not getting recommended by his Pedatrician.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:31 am

You will see we are having the exact same conversation in the other thread "lost parents". It's a typical situation that the autist patient only accepts the foods that cause more trouble.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:02 am

It's likely that your son is autistic. According to U.S National Library of Medicine, people with autism may appear to have an intellectual disability, sensory processing issues, or problems with hearing or vision. But you should take him to the doctor to get a medical diagnosis as soon as possible.
The information from this site may be useful for you: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?pageaction=displayproduct&productID=1974

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”