Boy hurting himself

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

nico24

Boy hurting himself

Postby nico24 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:40 pm

My boy Eddy is 3 and is autistic. He hits his head both against the wall and with his hand, when his 9 month old sister cries. Obviously she tends to cry quite a lot at this age. Is there anything that I could try to reduce or stop this behaviour?

thanks.

Dr. Krakouer

Re: Boy hurting himself

Postby Dr. Krakouer » Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 am

Greetings Nico24, Self Injurious Behavior (SIB) is probably the most devastating behavior of all! You must extinguish it before it becomes a behavior that is entrenched in your son. When ever you see Eddy harming himself you must intervene by redirecting his attention away from himself and the action. Establish eye contact and move/pick him up to change his location and interupt his mindset. Strategies that I have found successful include walking, dancing and singing.but fthe focus must occupy his hands/head that are generating the harm.
Happy to talk with you further. Best regards Dr. Krakouer

goatmon

Postby goatmon » Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey Nico! I'm sorry to hear that your son is struggling so much, but I'm glad you're trying to get him some help.

Folks who are autistic to any degree often have more trouble tuning out loud noises. It can be very distracting and extremely uncomfortable.

I think Dr. Krakouer is on the right track. You don't want him to make a habit of hurting himself, so curbing that should be a priority.

Long-term solutions aside, perhaps you could find him a headset that he could wear to make the noise more bearable for him. Perhaps you could put on some music on your phone (or even a basic MP3 player if you can find one) that he could listen to when your daughter is particularly fussy. This should be more of a last-resort solution, though. Focusing efforts on teaching him to cope with the noise would be a much more effective long-term strategy.

Generally speaking, kids on the spectrum can grow up surprisingly functional, sometimes to the point of being able to outperform neurotypicals, if they're given the right help with their problems at an early age.

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Nico, I like the ideas above, of distracting him to something more constructive and of diminishing the noise with a headset. (You might ask his pediatrician or an OT for help protecting his head with a light, comfortable helmet as well.) But I'm uncomfortable with sentences that begin, "You must..." Makes it sound like you're responsible for any failure to overcome this trait, and the truth is, you aren't. In fact, interrupting your son's behavior while at the same time attempting to address the needs of your crying daughter is a super-human expectation and a recipe for your own frustration and sense of shame. Neither of which will help your parenting! Do keep those good ideas in mind, but also please know that none of us have to perform perfectly to be exactly the moms our kids need. A sense of humor helps, but a "you must!" never does.

This gets better, honest!
B.L.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”