Just found out my son has autism

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Lane11

Just found out my son has autism

Postby Lane11 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi my son just turned 3. All we ever noticed was hes speech problem, but we got tests done and he has autism
. He has few words maybe 20 just one words. He babbles alot. He is always smiling, doesnt have mad tantrums, loves being out and social. Sometimes he plays by himself in playscool. We never got told if its mild or severe. I dont think its too bad, maybe a touch? He has eye contact but sometimes goes into hes own zone. Im just wondering will he ever talk? Do we keep him in playgroup hes in? Hes happy there, doesnt cry anymore when i bring him in. First child and only child so im kinda lost as to what to do/expect

EmilyV

Re: Just found out my son has autism

Postby EmilyV » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Lane,
we are in a similar boat - our only son just got diagnosed last month. I can imagine the pain you are going through.
As for your son, you describe some very good signs of interaction in your son, which is very encouraging. I can share what we realized in this last month (as you can guess the worst month in our lives).

1) a child has to have repetitive behaviors for a diagnosis of autism. Usually by this age (3) they are noticeable. If he has none, than it may be another similar condition such as Social Communication disorder.
2) there is a trend to overdiagnose now, especially in some areas of the country. But better to get the diagnosis and get services because earlier you act better for his brain development. We are getting ABA services.
3) You can go for a second opinion, but first get all the services rolling. Second opinion can happen later (usually it's a wait).
4) did they estimate his cognitive skills? In children with normal/average skills prognosis is much better.

As for our son, he is also one and only son. I was super anxious about his subtle symptoms of low eye contact, noone else got concerned including caregivers, 2 pediatricians, and all my family. However I work sort of in an adjacent field so I picked up some signs, and requested an evaluation - he was 22 months at the time of eval. He was very sleep deprived on that day, didn't do his best. He showed very poor eye contact, got diagnosed with autism. He has normal speech and normal cognitive abilities. I don't see much in terms of repetitive behaviors, but now that he started speaking much more at 23 months he started repeating some words excessively- it was just a couple of occasions. He started also speaking in 2-3 words sentences. His eye contact is low still, and he does get into his own things and gets "stuck" on certain things but in general has a wide range in interests. He overall is not too difficult, can calm down if upset within minutes. He loves to socialize with children or familiar people, but he gets overwhelmed easily in an unknown overstimulating environment and sort of withdraws. He also is slow to warm up to strangers.

I am reading up research on different causes and treatments, this forum has been great, and I also look up some articles on pubmed etc.

White swan

Postby White swan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:59 am

Dear lane,

It seems that my boy is very similar with yours. I really worry about them. what we can do? I just thought I could do my best to help him and to let him enjoy his life. he is still young, he has enough time to understand everything and to feel the beauty of the world. but he didn't want to talk to me, I have do idea what to help him. he can count, only from 1 to 100, then repeat again and again.

Lane11

Postby Lane11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 am

And were u told if it was mild or? We were just told asd. For age 3 he should have alot more words. He is going to speech, and still very slow to talk. He was tested for conitive skills but the result wasnt really taken into account because half way through he just wasnt interested and didnt want to do the rest of the puzzles. So i really dont know. They said he plays beside kids but not with them. He has cousins and i always see him playing with them. I try reading up about it and there so many different types i dunno where he fits in. He flaps hes arms when he gets excited. But in general is a good boy plays with hes toys. Not as much image play. Im just lost in it all

Lane11

Postby Lane11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:46 pm

White swan wrote:Dear lane,

It seems that my boy is very similar with yours. I really worry about them. what we can do? I just thought I could do my best to help him and to let him enjoy his life. he is still young, he has enough time to understand everything and to feel the beauty of the world. but he didn't want to talk to me, I have do idea what to help him. he can count, only from 1 to 100, then repeat again and again.

How old is your son? My little lad loves numbers too. He only counts to 10. Maybe can use that in some way for teaching speech? Ive read alot on asd and alot talk after 3 or 4. So i hope it be the same! Just still a waiting game now. Have u done speech therapy with your son?

White swan

Postby White swan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

Hello. Yeah, we had done some speech therapy, but it seems not to be working, as my boy seldom watches the teachers. and he still likes to be alone. Could you recommend me some methods, or some institutes or hospitals? I wanna try. I have no idea if they will help, but I really wanna consult and confirm if we have to try that.

Lane11

Postby Lane11 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm

How old is your son?
Im only doing speech therapy with my lad, its very slow to get some words out. I might be trying one word and few weeks later he will say that word. Just keep it easy, use one to 2 words (like block on, if playin with lego). Its hard going because u feel like your gettin no where.
I dont have my next appt yet for speech, but im sure ill find out more seeing as i know now what it is

Lane11

Postby Lane11 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 am

actually there is an app called tippytalk. It has pictures on it and words. Helps non verbal kids to communicate. Maybe you could try that or look up other apps for your ipad or phone and see. I havnt tried it yet but might help

crazydaddy

Postby crazydaddy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Every ASD kid is different...what we found for my son is that intensive ABA-type along with speech and general 24-7 (non stop) interaction with him while he's awake helped a lot.

We're now looking into biomedical interventions as well.

Lane11

Postby Lane11 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 am

crazydaddy wrote:Every ASD kid is different...what we found for my son is that intensive ABA-type along with speech and general 24-7 (non stop) interaction with him while he's awake helped a lot.

We're now looking into biomedical interventions as well.

I know every child with asd is different, but im just wondering will my son be able to talk. Im only new to this i dunno what to expect. He has 1 or 2 new words so im hopefull. Whats aba type thearpy? May google that hehe. Does your son have good verbal comminication now then?

White swan

Postby White swan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:20 am

Hello, I heard there is a hippotherapy for ASD. I don't know if it will work. Have you ever heard of it?

StellaOzzy

Postby StellaOzzy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 pm

I just wanted to add my experiences so far.
My son was diagnosed at 2 years old, he had said a couple of words/phrases around 1.5, but had regressed by 2.

He's a smart kid and we were too enamored with him to noticed that his quirkiness might actually be more than just a fun cute things he does. At 2 he barely spoke, nor seemed interested in speaking, but he understood a lot of words. We used sign language for a while, and that helped us at least create some level of communication and avoid most of the major meltdowns.

We started early intervention shortly after he turned 2 with a speech therapist that came once a week for an hour, but it wasn't until we got rolling with intensive ABA (20+ hours a week), that we started to break through the speech wall. By 2.5 years old, he was reliably using a handful of words, and now by 3 he talks all the time.

Disclaimer - every child is different, and there's no way to scientific control that would let us know what worked and what didn't, but I feel that the major influences were this: a lot of exposure to different therapists, increased attention span, using non-verbal communication, and I feel that his body finally developed enough to give him reliable use of his mouth and tongue.

Dr. Krakouer

Postby Dr. Krakouer » Fri May 12, 2017 3:43 am

Greetings Lane, certainly receiving a diagnosis that your child is Austim is very challenging indeed! I am without doubt that skill development is the key to empowering your son so that he has the ability to manage his condition. Meaningful cognitive stimulation and engaging with others does wonders to develop these skills. So it is imperative to place your son in as many different learning and social environments as possible. Say "yes" to every opportunity that brings the world into his. Let me know if these strategies are successful?
Best regards Dr. Leith

Allen Smith

Postby Allen Smith » Sun May 14, 2017 9:35 pm

StellaOzzy wrote:
We started early intervention shortly after he turned 2 with a speech therapist that came once a week for an hour, but it wasn't until we got rolling with intensive ABA (20+ hours a week), that we started to break through the speech wall. By 2.5 years old, he was reliably using a handful of words, and now by 3 he talks all the time.

Our daughter was just diagnosed with Autism on Friday. She has been doing early intervention for 6 months now(2x/week OT, 1x/week special teacher). 1 hour/week of Speech Therapist was just added through early intervention. Friday, the development docs recommended "intensive ABA"

Does anyone know how "often" the ABA is? Is this another 1 hour/week therapy or is it 20+ hours/week as referenced above? If its 20/hours week, how many weeks is it?

Looking for tips, any help is welcome!
Allen

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”