I may be autistic

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

cvandan

I may be autistic

Postby cvandan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am

I was diagnosed ADD as a child and never fully agreed with the diagnosis because I was able to focus just fine on the things that I wanted to. Now I'm 33 years old and have an autistic son and a perfectly normal daughter. My new fiancee struggles to understand me and continues to fight with and for my son while I don't understand why our what she is doing. She made the suggestion the other night that autism is a genetic disease and that I may be a touch autistic as well. It makes sense to me. I have always struggled in social situations, always held my own strong interests while ignoring more practical ones, and never really understand long term relationships. What I don't understand is how being diagnosed now would change anything for me. I'm a great employee and enjoy customer service jobs where I can interact with lots of people a little at a time, but I struggle with my current job where I am managing relationships with clients. I'm going to see a counselor at the VA Hospital the end of the month about my anxiety issues and wonder if it would be worth it to even bring it up. As far as I'm concerned I'm a perfectly normal and functioning adult, even if my fiancee doesn't think so. What should I do?

jaumeb

Re: I may be autistic

Postby jaumeb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:08 am

If you find something (diet, therapy ...) that helps you, then it is likely to also help your son.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”