School wants to take speech therapy away,,, Help!

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Autismaunt15

School wants to take speech therapy away,,, Help!

Postby Autismaunt15 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:15 pm

My nephew is transitioning to middle schools this coming year. His parents just received a call giving them a "heads up" that they are considering terminating his speech therapy because they have seen no progress. Throughout the year for every IEP they always said things were good and never mentioned lack of progress. We have all seen my nephew do so much better and communicating a lot more, there has definitely been progress. We are worried about how he'll do in a new school without his one on one sessions. Is there anything we can do? His IEP is on Wednesday and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Winnie

Re: School wants to take speech therapy away,,, Help!

Postby Winnie » Tue May 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Autismaunt15 wrote:My nephew is transitioning to middle schools this coming year. His parents just received a call giving them a "heads up" that they are considering terminating his speech therapy because they have seen no progress. Throughout the year for every IEP they always said things were good and never mentioned lack of progress. We have all seen my nephew do so much better and communicating a lot more, there has definitely been progress. We are worried about how he'll do in a new school without his one on one sessions. Is there anything we can do? His IEP is on Wednesday and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

No, they cannot discontinue services on the basis of "no progress," though they may try if they believe you (or his parents/advocates) don't know the law. If anything, his parents can make the case for increased services, as the current level is (by their own admission) ineffective. Make the therapist produce data, produce progress reports, and then use their own documentation against them. If your nephew has not made progress, then he may (probably) be entitled to extended year services.

Speech therapy covers a lot of ground -- even non-verbal children need services to develop and use an augmentative communication system, increase receptive language skills, etc. It is certainly possible that the services he is currently receiving are inappropriate, insufficient in frequency, and carried out in a useless (for his needs) "group" session.

It is a little too close to the meeting for everyone to get on the law learning curve, but this site has a lot of information, a book that every parent should read (From Emotions to Advocacy), and even an answer to a question very similar to yours:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/giving-up-discontinuing-services-due-to-no-improvement/

Tell his parents to just say no to discontinuation, and instead insist on an INDEPENDENT evaluation and increased services. If the meeting ends in a stalemate, that's fine, as they will have some time to circle their wagons and gather information!

Let us know what happens -- and if you have other questions.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Autismaunt15

Postby Autismaunt15 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Thank you so much Winnie! I will order the book and read that Information. I will be going to IEP with parents and have been doing research. Your response was very helpful, I appreciate it.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Hope it went well for your nephew -- it's great that you are advocating for him and attending with his parents! Always a good thing for parents to take someone along -- especially someone invested -- being on the emotional end of an issue in dispute is often difficult for parents.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Autismaunt15

Postby Autismaunt15 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:23 am

Winnie wrote:Hope it went well for your nephew -- it's great that you are advocating for him and attending with his parents! Always a good thing for parents to take someone along -- especially someone invested -- being on the emotional end of an issue in dispute is often difficult for parents.

Hi Winnie! I thought I had replied a long time ago but I guess I didn't. I'm sorry it took so long! Our meeting went well, teachers were very helpful and agreed to continue his speech therapy without much resistance. They did warn us battles might get a little harder in middle school so I am educating myself to help his parents advocate for him. Once again, thank you for all the help!!

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”