Best consequences for aggressive behavior

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

L_W

Best consequences for aggressive behavior

Postby L_W » Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi. My son is 8 years old and was diagnosed with autism at age 3. He was also diagnosed along the way with insomnia, ADHD and anxiety. I'm having several issues with my son at the moment but the current issue is his aggressive behavior, which has now got him suspended from school. This is his first out of school suspension, but he has had in school suspensions before for fighting other students. He does have an IEP and I think he school is very good with him overall. He is suspended for hitting n kicking his teachers, who were trying to keep him from leaving the classroom during one of his meltdown moments. He is a real handful lately. Today I just ended the services that I had for him to start up with another company in hopes of a better outcome. Meaning, consistent therapist n psychiatrist. My main question is.. what kind of consequences do parents give with children with special needs? I'm just at a loss on what to do. To my son he kicked the teachers bc they were touching him.. but if they didn't he was trying to walk home. Once I start with this new therapy service I will have a therapist visit the home.. which will hopefully help.. but what about in the meantime?

I would like to add that he has been grounded to his room for the time that he is suspended. I also have some school work for him to do tomorrow.. but I'm sure to have a lot of meltdowns. :|

Dr. Krakouer

Re: Best consequences for aggressive behavior

Postby Dr. Krakouer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 am

Greetings Sir/Madam,
the use of aggression and violence by any individual, while difficult to stop is not impossible. In my experience the primary reason an individual uses aggression is because they believe they can get away with it. Or the consequences are so meaningless that it simply doesn't matter.
There are a number of strategies that must be implemented immediately to have any chance of stopping your son utilizing aggression:
1. Make your home at NON VIOLENT AGGRESSION FREE zone. That is, there are NO EXCUSES. AGGRESSION IS NOT TOLERATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
2. You must devise immediate and meaningful consequences when son chooses to use aggression.
3. Instill in you son that he is in fact in control of his own actions and that he alone is RESPONSIBLE for them
Therefore, he must not choose to use aggression.
4. The power of PRAISE. Just as rebuke is part of the equation, so too is meaningful PRAISE and APPLAUSE. Catch you son doing the right thing and give him genuine recognition for making the right choice.
5. CONSISTENCY. I can't stress this one enough. Everyone including your therapist's, teachers and other family members must be on the same page. Or he will simply find the weakest link and play them off against each other.

Hope this helps for a start? Let me know how it goes.
Regards Dr. P. Leith Krakouer

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”