Sending to India

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

ramk1

Sending to India

Postby ramk1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Senior members,

I have severe autistic girl with special ed prog in school. now my spouse wants to sent her to India where there is no scope even for therapy Any suggestions on how to deal with it.she thinks grandmother can do everything

Santosg

Re: Sending to India

Postby Santosg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 am

The quick answer is that your wife is completely insane in her assumptions. A grandmother is not going to be able to do a better job of giving her the therapy she needs than a trained professional. India is far behind on how to help autistic children and has not really established many ABA type programs. The worst part is that traditional 'parenting' or authoritarian demands are actually going to do more harm than good. Autistic children need--require--positive reinforcement to actually create better behavioral patterns. If her grandmother is so good, it seems that she should come to the US and help a few months out of the year--as long as her visa allows, rather than send your daughter to India. It won't help any of you long term.

richaj

Re: Sending to India

Postby richaj » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:51 am

I would say give a try for 2-3 months, and see how it goes. Note I am not saying leave your daughter with grandma alone for indefinite time, but either you or your wife stay with her during this period. There are so many little things which are different in India as compared to in US, like storing and drinking water from clay pots, which let chlorine out of water and soakes most of the harmful things.

And if you happen to be from southern part of India then i would say give a try to Sunethri Ayurveda, google them and read about their story.

From bigger picture, after 5 years from now, these 2-3 months won't count at all.

just my 2 cents.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”