My son and any advice please??

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Jane81

My son and any advice please??

Postby Jane81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 am

Hello. I'm new here. Firstly sorry if this goes on a abit! I'm really just looking for any advice you may have for me? My son is 3 1/2 and has no speech. Hes under the hospital at the moment with a speech therapist and pediatrician. We are due back this week and for some reason I'm really anxious about it. Speech therapist has done home visits and nusery visit to do her report on my son. Nursery is been a huge battle but my son now gets enhanced inclusion funding,one to one which last week saw an improvement with my son as he didn't go crazy going there!! My son attends 2 mornings a week. Speech therapist has said they are testing my son for autism and it's a social communication disorder(is that the same thing??) my son has very little to no eye contact as very bad melt downs very routined and very sensory. What I would like to know is if any of you have been back to hospital once reports are done and what happens?? I get told very little info and feel I can't ask. My son is also being introduced to the PECS and I didn't even get told what that means! I really don't
Know why I feel anxious about this!! Any info/advice would be great! Thanks for reading.

Ben DiBanana

Re: My son and any advice please??

Postby Ben DiBanana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Jane,

PECS stands for Picture Exchange Communication System and is a method for kids to communicate non-verbally using pictures.

I'm not sure where you live but each state in the US is legally required to provide Early Intervention or Early Childhood Special Ed to any child diagnosed with a disability such as autism. My own son got some help before starting kindergarten last year and it helped a lot. Sounds like you are on the right course.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”