Daughter's doctor highly suspects Autism at age 12

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

CaitybugsMom

Daughter's doctor highly suspects Autism at age 12

Postby CaitybugsMom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:55 pm

It's nice to meet you all! This is all new to me. I was concerned about some things with my daughter's emotional and social development.. I am a first time mother and I also suffer from the same issues as she does. However, seeing it manifest in your child is completely different. Her doctor was not concerned so much with depression or anxiety (which I requested screening for) but Autism. I have personally been diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, social anxiety disorder, and possible generalized anxiety disorder. However not by the same doctor. My daughter has always been brilliant, in the talented and gifted program in school. She is very good at art and music. She reads well beyond her age and always has. However she's always had difficulty with having more than one friend. She has a hard time even maintaining that one friendship. She isn't good with some of the expected niceties and sympathy that a girl typically has for a friend. She also has never repeated "I love you" back to me when I tell her. It's always, " ok". Some of my friends and family think she's normal. Am I overreacting? My instinct fells me something is wrong, and that I'm possibly also autistic. But I would love to hear the experience of you all. I look forward to hearing from you!

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”