Nonsense Talk/Questions

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

monicaserenity

Nonsense Talk/Questions

Postby monicaserenity » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:32 pm

My daughter is 5 years old and Moderate on the Spectrum. She asks a lot of nonsense questions, that i have no way of answering because they make no sense. She gets frustrated when i tell her that the question does not make sense. I feel bad telling her that, but i need her to understand that i don't comprehend what she is saying. She is about to start Kindergarten, and i am concerned about this, because it is becoming more frequent. Anyone else dealing with this issue? How do you handle it? I am hoping that i can find a new way to answer her if i am doing it incorrectly. thank you.

DanceProphecy

Re: Nonsense Talk/Questions

Postby DanceProphecy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 am

Why don't you bring your daughter in an expert and try to have a therapy.

B.L. Pike

Postby B.L. Pike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Monicaserenity, we've had some success with smiling and saying, "Make up your own story!" Sometimes I hand him a pencil and paper and ask him to draw his answer. For some reason that seems to make sense to him, or at least it doesn't frustrate him. I've also tried redirecting him, but that never works because he can hold on to one idea (however nonsensical it seems to me) for a lot longer than I can try changing the subject!

You were certainly not "doing it incorrectly," and I'm sorry you're worried about that, because judging ourselves and our responses constantly really takes the joy out of parenting. Hopefully her new kindergarten teacher will have a tolerance for nonsense questions, since it goes with the age.

Please let us know if you find something that works well for you and your daughter.
B.L.

lovemymonsters

Postby lovemymonsters » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Try giving her a nonsense answer, then ask her a question that does make sense, and prompt her for a correct response. She may not understand why her question did not make sense. She may be exploring cause/effect relationship (I ask a question, mommy answers) rather than seeking information.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”