Cute things thread?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

SRAmbert

Cute things thread?

Postby SRAmbert » Tue May 24, 2005 6:02 pm

I used to enjoy reading about the cute things our kids are doing . . . have I missed where this thread is posted?

My Molly came up to me this afternoon while I was reading Karyn Seroussi's book and looked at the cover. "A-U-T-I-S-M!!" she read the letters out one at a time, with extra oomph on the M. Then she added "NOPQRSTUVWXYZ!" and ran away. That just about says it all for our house these days. :wink:

Al&Matt's Mom

Postby Al&Matt's Mom » Tue May 24, 2005 9:31 pm

My dx'd 3 year old came running up to me and said "Miss Mommy, Miss Mommy, Alyssa say not trues". (Alyssa is his 12 year old sister). I asked her what she said. It was "this is my house too". :wink:

chilliwackmom

Postby chilliwackmom » Tue May 24, 2005 10:16 pm

The other evening, I took D and his favorite doggy, Sugar, to the park playing fields, just for some nice one on one time. We had a marvelous time, D had fun with the pooch, and I took some nice pics. D was mucking about on the bleachers, and he suddenly said to me "Mom play diggin'? C'mon Mom, Diggin!". Confused, I said "you want me to dig with you? Sure. Where do you want to dig? There's not really any dirt around here.". D looked at me like I was nuts, and I looked at him the same way, then went back to throwing the ball for the dog.

Next thing I know, D is skipping back and forth on the metal bleachers, chanting in his sing-song voice "A-dig-a-dig-a-dig-a-dig", (his happy sound), stops looks at me, and says "C'mon mom! Mom, D, Diggin!", and then I clued in! He'd made his own game, and called it "Diggin'", and actually asked me to play with him. So I did :D It was fun, stomping as hard as we could and making a racket on the bleachers, skipping from the top to the bottom, and going "A-dig-a-dig-a-dig-a-dig!"

We walked home in that weird sprinkling-yet-sunny weather, and D commented on the weather then pointed out a rainbow (he noticed it before I did!). It was kind of a magical evening, silly as that sounds.

The next morning, when I was filling out his back and forth book with him, we got to the part where it says "yesterday I____", and I expected D to say something about our trip into Vancouver that day. Instead he smiled, grabbed my hand, and said "Park, Mom, D, Sugar, Diggin'" :)

He still talks about it, and asks me to play it with him.

Oh, and a day or two after that, out of the blue he asked me to go bowling with him, so I did! It was fun, and he did pretty good for a little guy :wink:

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 8:35 am

I was reviewing a social story with A. (4.5) on what to do if he gets lost in the store. We established that he has to ask for help b/c he will feel scared, and then I asked him what he would tell someone. His answer:
"Hello. Can I have some money please? "
I asked him why he would need money. He answered " to buy groceries".
OK, he may be missing my whole point, but sometimes you got to laugh at their autie-humor.
Alex's mom

To CHILIWACK

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 12:54 pm

Cute story - but you slipped a clue. Sugar-Sugar!

chilliwackmom

Re: To CHILIWACK

Postby chilliwackmom » Thu May 26, 2005 4:49 pm

Guest wrote:Cute story - but you slipped a clue. Sugar-Sugar!

??? A clue to what? Which pic on the HugABull site is of me? :lol: That's an alright pic. The reason I didn't point out specifically which one is me is because I don't like the pic of me on the "Who We Are" page, and haven't had a chance to get our webmaster to replace it with a better picture yet. Angel (fluffy-eared dog) and I both look, well, "less than our best" in that photo :oops: :lol:

CHILIWACK

Postby guest » Fri May 27, 2005 9:46 am

There are seval pretty women with dark hair so it is hard to tell. The "sexy" one lying with the dog?

Dana

Postby Dana » Fri May 27, 2005 10:27 am

Guest, kind of a scary comment since you didn't sign your name :?:

If I was able to properly put 2 + 2 together, it is a lovely picture and I like the addition that he shares a home with a boy with autism, how sweet.

Dana

I bet you make them pull your photo now, huh!

Postby guest » Fri May 27, 2005 12:30 pm

There is nothing scarey :lol:. FYI I am a female who doesn't "like" women if they are young and pretty or not. Not to worry. Just a compliment :) :)

chilliwackmom

Postby chilliwackmom » Fri May 27, 2005 2:01 pm

Dana wrote:Guest, kind of a scary comment since you didn't sign your name :?:

If I was able to properly put 2 + 2 together, it is a lovely picture and I like the addition that he shares a home with a boy with autism, how sweet.

Dana

Yeah, I was kind of :?: :!: since this is an autism board, not a dating board :lol: thanks for clarifying Guest. Who are you btw?

Dana - yup, that's me in the pic with "Sugar-booger" as we call her. I always try and plug that my three "vicous" Pit Bulls live with two kids with special needs; it kind of helps break the stereotype a bit. I'm not a criminal, my house is not a grow-op, I'm not covered in piercings and tattoos (well, I've got a couple :P :lol: ), I'm a mom, a wife, a relatively clean-cut type, and I'm a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen, AND I've got three Pit Bulls and run a Pit Bull education, advocacy, and rescue group...

I bet you make them pull your photo now, huh!

Naw. I've gotten pretty comfortable with being public about this stuff: I've had to do a ton of press, and have been all over the six o'clock news about it. We're the only group of our type in Canada (although there are other Pit Bull rescue groups in the country), and with all the talks about banning and the high-profile bite cases, we were pretty much shoved in the hotseat. While I don't love the lack of privacy by any stretch, I feel an obligation to get out there in the public eye, so that people see people like ME sticking up for and owning these dogs, rather than just the crack heads and criminals you hear about on the news :?

But I don't want to drag the Pit Bull drama here, as this is an autism board, and my doggy-stuff is WAY off topic :!:

So back to cute things our kids do :D

Dana

Postby Dana » Fri May 27, 2005 2:39 pm

chilliwackmom,

You have a good heart :D

Dana

Cute things, let's see...He has been sick this week, so I guess when he finally had the strength and started making sounds/singing again, after being quiet all week this was music to my ears!!!

debstake

JR's cute things.....

Postby debstake » Sat May 28, 2005 9:02 am

how he comes up to me or his dad now for no reason and gives us kisses. We used to have to prompt him for kisses and hugs. The hugs I always felt served a sensory issue for he hugs (or used to at any rate) hard and requested the same in return. Now he hugs and kisses for love. He's always been cuddly with us and with adults (females in particular) in general.

The only real peer he would have bothered with a few months ago was his sister. Now he engages her friends and is becoming more social at school with his own peers.

:wink: :lol: :D
Last edited by debstake on Sun May 29, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be At Peace,
Deborah A Delp

Living With Autism in Central PA
http://debstake.wordpress.com

Elis mom

the Rainbow connection

Postby Elis mom » Sun May 29, 2005 10:14 am

:wink:
Last edited by Elis mom on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eli's Mom

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 2:45 pm

It made me tear up too!!!!! One of the sweetest and most touching things I have heard in a long time. Good Luck and Love!!!

Tommismom

Postby Tommismom » Sun May 29, 2005 3:07 pm

I love the alphabet story! I would say we definitely NEED to keep a "cute things" thread going! Positive thoughts and memories help shape how we deal with today's issues.
:D :D :D :D :D
Jen

chilliwackmom

Postby chilliwackmom » Sun May 29, 2005 7:04 pm

I have another small funny one from D:

Just yesterday, he was playing with the "perfection" game (ya know, that thing with all the little pieces and the timer, and you're supposed to get them all into the right spot and hit the button or it pops up and the pieces go everywhere?), and I heard slurpy sucking noises, so peeked around the corner to see if he was sucking on the pieces, or just sucking boogers off his hands (lysol is my best friend :lol: ). He was just sucking on his hands, but I wasn't totally sure, so I asked "what's in your mouth?". He looked at me like I was the dumbest person in the world, and replied "teeth".

Duh mom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest/GRANDMA C

Eli's Mom

Postby Guest/GRANDMA C » Sun May 29, 2005 8:00 pm

I HAD TO PEEK IN TODAY TO SEE HOW EVERYONE IS DOING. ALL OF THE CUTE POSTS ARE ALWAYS MY FAVORITE. YES, I AM "GUEST" WHO WROTE TO ELI'S MOM. I AM STILL CHOKED UP ABOUT THAT ONE. JUST PICTURING THE LITTLE VOICE SINGING JUST CRAWLED INTO MY HEART AND STAYED THERE!!!!!

MAYBE I AM MISINTERPRETING THE WHOLE SONG, BUT JUST THE LAST WORD ABOUT FINDING......ME.... JUST TORE ME UP. WHATEVER THE REAL MEANING OF THE SONG, I SINCERELY HOPE THAT ELI FINDS HIS
ME ALONG WITH ALL OF YOUR DEAR CHILDREN :!: :!: :D

LOTS OF LOVE,

GRANDMA C

Dana

Postby Dana » Mon May 30, 2005 11:29 am

Chilliwackmom,

"teeth"! That is hilarious!!!

Dana

Postby Guest » Tue May 31, 2005 1:36 pm

I told my son that lining up beads was not acceptable and he had to either string them or clean them up. A little while later I saw him cleaning them up, looking very disappointed and mumbling under his breath "lining up not acceptable"
Alex's mom (who may allow a little lining up here and there :wink: )

Postby Guest » Tue May 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Teeth - Lining up, etc. Just too cute :lol: :lol:

Bobbi

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”