Sugar Cookie Recipe

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
amanda NC

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Postby amanda NC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Fuzzyone,

Here's my favorite sugar cookie recipe for right now. From Annalise Roberts' "Gluten Free Baking Classics".

Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter (I use butter; you use whatever butter sub you use.)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (I use guar gum)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and creamy (several minutes). Add egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Add flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; beat until a thick, smooth dough is formed.

Shape dough into a flat square and wrap in wax paper; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Drop half of dough in small mounds across a large sheet of plastic wrap. Roll up the dough and shape into a log about 1 inch diameter. Smooth the log by rolling on counter. Chill well.

Preheat oven to 350. Position rack in center of oven. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Slice chilled dough into 1/4 inch slices and place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes (I think I cook mine for more like 10 minutes, until they are just starting to brown on the bottom.)

These can be done as cut-out cookies as well. Best ones we've tried so far.

The flour mix is 2 cups fine brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch and 1/3 cup tapioca starch. The rice flour must be fine; I regrind my Bob's Red Mill in a coffee grinder before I use it. It makes a difference in the baked goods.
Amanda, mom of 3

FuzzyOne

Re: Sugar Cookie Recipe

Postby FuzzyOne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 am

THANK YOU!!! yeast be darn - we're going to have sugar cookies this year :lol:

At least I got the natural no artificial color sprinkles, right? :wink:

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have some sugar-free recipes too, but they're not for Christmas! We do the same--they get a week of yummies and then back to the sugar free. But I'll send you the good sugar-free stuff I've found if you like!
Amanda, mom of 3

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:01 am

maybe we should ask Moderator Bill for a recipe section

WD
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:07 am

I might try making these with coconut oil and stevia.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

Kari

Postby Kari » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:00 pm

My similar recipe came out good tasting, but a little grainy, as did my pie crust. I'll have to try the tip about regrinding the flour in a coffee grinder. Hmm, I should have told Santa I want a coffee grinder.

dorybh

Postby dorybh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks Amanda. I'm gonna make these today.
I had to be there, to get here.

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm

These are still a bit grainy, but not bad. You can order online a "fine grind" brown rice flour, but I have grown tired of online ordering, and for me it's good enough to regrind the Bob's Red Mill. Also, if you have Beth's flour mix from Gluten Free Pantry, that's a very fine grind of white rice flour that is really nice. I don't think the GFP sells the white rice flour alone anymore. But I have seen the flour blend in HFS.
Amanda, mom of 3

dabaxter

Postby dabaxter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Try Amaranth flour instead of brown rice flour.
$5 off iherb.com. Use:REW815/$5 off pureformulas.com Use:RJNXCX

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:44 pm

A recipe section would be awesome! I know I as others I'm sure are sick and tired of buying expensive ingredients just to do trial and error recipes that don't turn out to feed a dog! LOL

We can not do rice, but every on rotation and no eggs for us either. We couldn't use butter up until a little while ago since earth balance came out with a soy free butter (Thank you Jesus)! I have a basic sugar cookie recipe that I make up to use with cookie cutters for every holiday. We pipe icing on them to decorate them and make them look like bakery bought ones. I do have to use sugar for the icing, but I use agave for the cookies.

Here is that recipe if anyone needs a no egg/sugar one and can do almonds.

Cut Out Cookies-from the SCD website

2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 T. Spectrum shortening
1/3 C agave or honey

1. Mix all the ingredients well
2. Roll out dough between two layers of parchment paper then cut out the cookie cutters (we leave our cookies on the parchment paper and just remove the dough between the shapes because the cookies are fragile uncooked) It also helps if you chill the dough in the fridge periodically because it can become soft to work with.
3. Bake at 275 F until cookies start to brown around the edges (any where from 20-35 minutes depending on the thickness) Cookies will crispen as they cool on a wire rack.

Cinnamon Cookies: Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the recipe. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment covered backing sheet. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass.

This is the BEST icing to use for piping on cookies, cakes or cupcakes. It is comparable to Wilton Cake icing. I am not a cake decorator, but I have been learning as each birthday she is picking out kits like the store bought ones. :shock: I half this recipe when I'm just doing cookies or cupcakes.

2 lbs confectioners' sugar (I use organic powdered sugar)
1 cup spectrum shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt (1/8 tsp)
8 Tablespoons of water

Place powdered sugar in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Cut up the shortening into small chunks and place on top of the powder sugar. Add the dash of salt and vanilla. Add the water 1 oat a time evenly around the powdered sugar.
Gently start and stop your mixer to blend the powdered sugar, shortening and water until it is well combined. Then gradually turn up your mixer speed and mix for 2 to 3 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. It is important to mix it really well until all the powdered sugar is dissolved to make a good pipping frosting. I then will put some into different containers and mix with our natural food colors. If you want to go basic and don't have a piping kit then you can just put some in a ziplock baggie and cut the tip off small or however big you want and pip from the baggies.

Hope this helps someone. It was a life saver this last birthday when I made a Disney princess castle cake! It was also fun when we got to bring cookies to her school and she got to eat the same treat everyone else did.
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

Sukee

Postby Sukee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:49 pm

I need to add that I got the icing recipe from "The Super Allergy Girl Gluten-Free, Casein-Free, Nut Free Allergy & Celiac Cookbook" It is amazing and all the recipes are free from: Wheat/Gluten, Milk/Casein/Lactose, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nut and Coconut

There is a versatile bread recipe without rice/corn/yeast or soy that we use for pizza crust, dinner rolls, waffles, and pretzels. We never could find a bread we could do for everyday until we came across this recipe. Lisa Lundy has a website and she tells you and shows you the bread recipe and how to make things. Her website is: http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com
Suzee~
DD-8- 50 lbs Rd: 34-25mg ALA

Rockhopper

Postby Rockhopper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:19 pm

WD: I ditto the recipe section/forum. Come on Moderator Bill. Diet consumes our lives.

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:22 pm

So how did they come out for ya'll?

I'm going to try modifying these next week, with sorghum flour and cutting out some of the sugar. I'll post how it goes; any of you who bake this stuff know it isn't always as easy as changing out an ingredient!!

Something they used to do on the Feingold website was post what you're eating today. It was a good idea-prompter, and it was helpful to see what others got by with (I think I always got too complicated with our meals!! My mom was a good Hungarian cook.) Kind of like the "what are you cooking for the holiday" thread here.
Amanda, mom of 3

Dani

Postby Dani » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:05 pm

I agree with William's Dad. Can we please have a Recipe subforum here?
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Recipes”