GFCFSF, sugar free brownies (really!)

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
Janie

GFCFSF, sugar free brownies (really!)

Postby Janie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am

This recipe was adapted from this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Black-Bean-Br ... arb-255239
We changed it to make them sugar free. They're seriously, dangerously good! I hate beans, but I'm really getting into bean-based baked goods. I made a huge batch of these for Christmas, and most of my family had already eaten a couple before I thought to mention what they were made of :) Everyone went home with the recipe. They're ok hot, but really, really good after they've cooled down a bit. DH swears they're best the next day out of the fridge.

Black Bean Brownies

3 cups cooked black beans (soaked overnight, then cooked and cooled)
4 large eggs
5 tablespoons oil (we use canola)
6 tablespoons cocoa (we use an organic powder)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Combine everything in the food processor, starting with beans to be sure they get nice and smooth. When it's completely blended, it pretty much just looks and smells like brownie batter. Pour it all in a greased 8 1/2 x 11 baking dish and bake at 325 until you can poke the middle with a knife and it comes out clean. In my glass dish, that's about 45-50 minutes. In a metal dish, it would probably be closer to 35.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Ian's mom

Re: GFCFSF, sugar free brownies (really!)

Postby Ian's mom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Oooh, I am going to try these. I do sneaky brownies, but mind you, we don't do a diet. In mine I manage to sneak in black beans, spinach, blueberries, broccoli and peas. Again, not GFCF at all as we use a regular mix, so yours sound much more healthy than mine.
After the storm comes the rainbow.

Janie

Postby Janie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I hadn't thought of putting other veggies in there! How do you prepare the spinach to put it in the brownies? I'm trying like crazy to get more veggies into DS's diet, but the texture is usually too much for him.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorry, just saw this. I boil the spinach (and all the other veggies), then puree it. For the blueberries, I use frozen and just rinse them until they are a little soft and puree them also. I know boiling decreases the nutrient content, but for us some is better than none, and he does get more fiber. I have also added canned pumpkin before, which he ate, but to me it just didn't taste as brownie-like. Just as long as it looks like brownies, he will eat it.

I got a lot of this from the Sneaky Chef cookbook and added to it. It will be really interesting to see how they do in your brownies!!
After the storm comes the rainbow.

Return to “Recipes”