Apple kraut recipe...did anyone find it?

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
Dani

Apple kraut recipe...did anyone find it?

Postby Dani » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I really want to make apple sauerkraut and apparently Julie Matthews brought some to a DAN conference last year.
Did anyone find her recipe for it? Or, even another recipe for apple kraut? I know some of us on the board are looking to make it at home.
I can't get my child to eat regular sauerkraut, but apple kraut is something I think I could get her to eat.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

amanda NC

Re: Apple kraut recipe...did anyone find it?

Postby amanda NC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Googled it; this is what I found. It is in a bunch of recipes recommended by Julie Matthews in an article about ferments.

"Apple Kraut. Grate apple with a cheese/vegetable grater. Mix equal parts apple and raw sauerkraut. Serve as is, or add to a salad."

And that's it. I was thinking the apple would be fermented too, but maybe not.
Amanda, mom of 3

Kari

Postby Kari » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

I guess I was thinking it would be just apples, versus apples added to cabbage kraut. I have searched and I didn't find a recipe like that, but I don't know why you couldn't just grate some apples, add some whey (or another starter) and leave it at room temperature for a couple days. It may require some experimentation. Nourishing Traditions does have a recipes for lactofermented apple cider, fermented berry preserves and apricot butter that kids might like. I haven't tried them yet myself, but they sound good.

twinsohmy

Postby twinsohmy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:25 pm

I thought I had the apple kraut recipe that she made at the DAN conference last year--it was really good, but I can't find it. I am still waiting on my friend to get me the recipe we did recently which was just as good. We used granny smith apples and cabbage as a base and then fermented it using a Body Ecology starter. As soon as I get the recipe I'll post it--she's pregnant and very busy.

Dani

Postby Dani » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 pm

twinsohmy - Thanks. Since you're the second person who tasted her apple kraut and liked it, I really want the recipe.

Kari and Amanda - I have the Nourishing Traditions book. I also have whey. I'll try my hand at making the apple kraut this weekend.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Recipes”