Vegetable Marinara Sauce

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
amanda NC

Vegetable Marinara Sauce

Postby amanda NC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:22 pm

This is something I kind of made up--a "lightened" version of spaghetti sauce. My kids love spaghetti, but my son and I have huge issues with traditional tomato sauce for pasta because it's so acidic. I will get a terrible stomach ache at night if we have it for dinner. I have begun making this sauce, and I sleep well. It also tastes very close to regular spaghetti sauce, and my kids didn't know they were eating a lightened version. Finally, it's a really great way to get a large serving of veggies and fiber into your kids (and yourself!) We do not add meat, as it makes the meal too hard to digest for my son and me; we have found that following food combining rules works well for us, and I try not to serve meat with grains. Sometimes I'll add some kale for vitamin K.

Vegetable Marinara Sauce

5 medium yellow summer squash
1 large or two small white or Videlia onions
2 jars Emeril's Tomato and Basil spaghetti sauce
A good dash of oregano if you like

Chop the squash and onion fine in a food processor. Heat about 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil in a pan or Dutch oven. Add the vegetable mixture and about 1/2 tsp. salt. It looks like a lot, but it will cook down to less than half the volume you have now. Fry the onion and squash mixture in oil over medium heat, stirring as it browns. This will take about 15 minutes. It's important that the squash and onion are well caramelized for flavor. It might turn into almost a paste.

Return vegetable mixture to food processor. Process well to a sauce-like consistency. Add a bit of the tomato sauce if the veggies get too thick. Do not process this will all the tomato sauce as lots of air will be incorporated into the tomato sauce and it will turn it orange instead of red. Pour veggie mixture back into pan, and stir in the two jars of Emeril's spaghetti sauce.

Serve over Tinkyada brown rice pasta. All my kids and hubby love this. Makes a very good vegetarian dinner; we don't even miss the meat.
Amanda, mom of 3

Return to “Recipes”