Use FINE flours for baking!

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
amanda NC

Use FINE flours for baking!

Postby amanda NC » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 am

Just in case any of you do not know this....

The grind of the flour you use really, really matters. It's the difference between barely palatable and, "Are you sure this isn't wheat?" We use a rice/tapioca/potato starch blend, and have found that Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills rice flours need to be reground in my coffee grinder to make good baked goods, especially cakes and muffins.

You can buy fine flours from Gluten Free Pantry, and then online. Anything listed as an Annalise Roberts blend, a Bette Hagman blend or "extra fine" rice flour will work. Ener-G has one, so does Authentic Foods.

I used the King Arthur's rice flour years ago, but don't remember if it was very fine; as I recall, it was. That is available now in many grocery stores.

Anyway, if you're new to this and disappointed in your baked goods, try regrinding your flours or buying the extra fine. It affects the way that the liquids in the recipe are absorbed a LOT, and you can barely tell my baked goods made with the fine flours from "real".
Amanda, mom of 3

mimicry

Re: Use FINE flours for baking!

Postby mimicry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:29 pm

have you tried rice flours from Asian markets? I make a Chinese New Year's cake, and the flour is so fine you'd swear it's cornstarch. (gluten free, not casein free, it takes milk and eggs) Could be a more cost-effective option, as I usually find our Asian market to be very affordable.

amanda NC

Re: Use FINE flours for baking!

Postby amanda NC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Really, really like the King Arthur Flour rice flour as it was really fine and baked up well. But, very pricey. I'm re-grinding my flour in a small coffee grinder, (Bob's Red Mill) but it takes too long. Any ideas for doing this faster? A food processor doesn't seem to do the trick.
Amanda, mom of 3

Return to “Recipes”