Bean recipes

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
mimicry

Bean recipes

Postby mimicry » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Since JeniB was talking about the benefits of beans, I thought I'd share some of my favorite recipes. You'll have to forgive me, as I cook with my nose, and not measuring spoons, but I'll try my best to make it simple for others =). Some recipes may have infractions for various diets, but you can probably work around it!

Tuscan bean soup.

Chop one onion and one shallot and sautee in butter and olive oil with a fresh sage leaf (you could use dried, but I'd only do it mildly at the end of cooking if the soup is bland). When it is soft and begins to caramelize(even browned for a deeper flavor), add in minced garlic (I like lots, so I use about 5 cloves, you can do this to your taste) Give the garlic about 30 seconds to get fragrant, and add the beans. Canned if you like (2 cans, rinsed), or two pounds of soaked and cooked cannellini beans, I like to toss them around with the vegetables for a few minutes before adding the stock. About 4 cups of any clear stock (chicken or vegetable) Bring to a low boil and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the sage leaf and blend (either with a stick blender, or in small batches in a normal blender) Put it back in the pain and add in as much cream as you like, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.

Mimi's Vegetarian Chili
Drizzle some olive oil in a large stock pot, and sautee until soft 2 large onions and 2 bell peppers, chopped. (colors can depend on your own personal taste) Sometimes I get lazy here and substitute a bag of the birdseye frozen pepper stir-fry mix. Once they are soft, I add in minced garlic to taste (again I like LOTS) Then I add about 3 cans of tomatoes, or one large (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes, and a can of tomatoes and chilis) You can also add fresh, peeled and seeded, and fresh chilis seeded and chopped finely). I sautee this a few minutes, and top the stock pot with water. At this point I add chili powder to taste (mindful of the sodium in it), cumin, oregno (dried I prefer in this recipe but fresh is also good), black pepper, white pepper, cayanne, sometimes chipotle, paprika, notice no salt at this point. I let this simmer for a good while, at least an hour, until reduced and thickened (I like crushed tomatoes for this, as they break down in the soup and add body, I prefer Muir Glen Organic tomatoes).

Add another cup or two of water, one zuchinni, cubed into half inch cubes, one small eggplant, cubed, one pound of portabello mushrooms, cubed, one pound of button mushrooms, quarted. I give this about 30 minutes to simmer, then add in 16 ounces each of cooked and rinsed black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans, and about a cup of corn. I give this about 15 minutes to heat through and taste test for seasoning adjustments, salt, pepper, or spices varied by taste, then I add an ounce of dark chocolate and a little sugar to taste.

Other vegetables that work well are carrots, parsnips and celery, but add these when you add the tomatoes as they take longer to soften.

White baked beans

Hyacinth

Re: Bean recipes

Postby Hyacinth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Do you have a bread recipe that's made of only beans? A combination of beans is fine.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Hyacinth wrote:Do you have a bread recipe that's made of only beans? A combination of beans is fine.

sorry I don't, someone may have one with bean flour though?

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:24 pm

GLUTINOUS RICE CAKE WITH RED BEAN (learned from my exes mother, she is Taiwanese)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour (also called sweet rice flour)
1 cup rice flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 portion Red Bean Paste (about 1 cup)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Oil and flour one 9″ round cake pan. A Pyrex glass baking dish works well too.
3. Mix well together glutinous rice flour, rice flour, sugar, and baking powder.
4. In separate bowl, beat egg, milk, and oil until well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
5. Pour 1/2 of the batter into prepared cake pan and bake 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, place Red Bean Paste onto middle of cake spreading to within 3/4 inch to side of pan.
7. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the red bean paste and return to the oven and bake another 30 minutes or until cake is set and lightly browned. Use a toothpick to test if the batter is cooked completely.

Notes: Glutinous Rice Flour does not contain gluten. This recipe includes casien, but I'm sure you can make adaptations for your diet (apple sauce instead of eggs, and rice milk instead of cow's)

This is the red bean paste I use, but you can always make your own to control for ingredients.
http://www.philamfood.com/companion-swe ... -18oz.html

Adzuki bean recipe (alternative to canned)

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/japane ... ean-paste/

Note: as the cake relies on the carmalization of the sugar, not sure how well sugar-free alternatives will work.
Last edited by mimicry on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:28 pm

My exes mom loved this..but I never got into it.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dessert ... d_bean.htm

JoJo

Postby JoJo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:31 pm

White bean chili - I love this recipe and so does my entire family. I served it at our Christmas party yesterday and it was a great hit. I'm afraid that I eyeball many of the ingredients, but you shouldn't have trouble, it's very forgiving.

Northern beans - three cans or cook an equivalent from dried beans
Two cups of chopped chicken (cooked)
Salsa
Chicken broth (not much, maybe 1 cup?)

Throw in crock pot and let it cook. (I love easy recipes!). The salsa is to taste. We can our own salsa in the summer and the more veggies in it, the more flavorful this recipe tastes.

We love this with grated jalapeno cheese on top and also we toast some gf bread or make cornbread.
"... but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 am

Since I don't eat meat, I have quite a few bean recipes I like.

This vegetarian chili recipe is very similar to the one Mimi posted. I have tried many veg. chili recipes over the years, but this one is my favorite and it is the easiest. I have also just thrown all the ingredients in the crockpot without cooking the veggies first and that works too. I don't put the corn in because I usually serve it with cornbread, I just add another can of beans instead.

Insanely Easy Vegetarian Chili
Ingredients
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped onions
• 3/4 cup chopped carrots
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 3/4 cup chopped celery
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
• 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
• 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
• 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, and garlic until tender. Stir in green pepper, red pepper, celery, and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
2. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and corn. Season with cumin, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I LOVE this salad, it calls for a lot of Feta cheese so you need to like Feta cheese for sure.

Red Bean Salad with Feta and Peppers

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped cabbage
2 green onions
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
1. Rinse kidney beans under cold water. Drain well.
2. In a large salad bowl, combine beans, red pepper, cabbage, onions, feta, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Another recipe with Feta that I really like, but you could easily substitute any other kind of cheese with this one.

Greek Pasta with Tomatoes and White Beans
Ingredients
• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
• 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
• 8 ounces penne pasta
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and beans in a large non-stick skillet. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add spinach to the sauce; cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly.
4. Serve sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with feta.

Return to “Recipes”