best way to make dairy free creamed soup or cheese

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
luvpiggy

best way to make dairy free creamed soup or cheese

Postby luvpiggy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to share the most recent best way I have found to make creamed soup such as cream of mushroom, cream of celery soup, or really creamy cheese for dairy free mac n cheese. I came across this, this Thanksgiving for some of my recipes because I am a vegetarian and my son is lactose intolerant. In addition, in the past I had tried other recipes, but the precise ratio of dairy free margarine (3 TB) to flour (3TB) and directions in this recipe such as heating the milk replacement in the microwave and adding in slowly just made everything come together perfectly. If you are going to adjust or tweak this to make mac n cheese just melt the table spoons of margarine on a medium heat and slowly add in the flour (all-purpose substitute depending on dietary restrictions such as using rice flour) one tablespoon at a time with a whisk. Then slowly add in the milk. Finally, slowly add in whatever type of cheese substitute you use such as Galaxy brand cheese slices. Make sure to keep that whisk going and you will see it really transform before your eyes into a cheesy delight:). For quick mac n cheese, I just slowly add the noodles(whatever type is tolerated) in the pot with the cheese sauce so I don't put too many noodles in it so it's extra creamy. I'm sure you can still do that and then add it to a baking dish to bake the mac n cheese further. Also, I found it easy to double this recipe. There's just something about the ratio that works well. Enjoy!

http://mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com/2 ... -soup.html

amanda NC

Re: best way to make dairy free creamed soup or cheese

Postby amanda NC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Thank you, thank you! I'm trying this tonight! I'll post how it goes! I really, really miss casseroles, and haven't really found a good substitute....my kids will eat more things now, and I'm going to get back to more "normal" foods for us if I can.
Amanda, mom of 3

amanda NC

Re: best way to make dairy free creamed soup or cheese

Postby amanda NC » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 pm

This is so good!! I agree--a magical combination that is better than others I have tried. I had actually given up on making "cream of" recipes that were good.

Luvpiggy, I am having a hard time using this in place of the boxed stuff. It separates. Any tips? What do you make with it? I have tried a potato dish and a chicken casserole dish; this did not work as a one-to-one exchange.
Amanda, mom of 3

Return to “Recipes”